• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Abnormal 3-lever light switch

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The light switch on my 757 has no locking feature, the upper and lower left levers operate without the need to use the 3rd , locking lever.
The switch appers to be original installation with no signs of tampering.

Question: Does anyone else have a light switch with the locking lever disabled?

Attachments

sermis

I have one that does not lock. Hold the locking lever in the lock position and it does lock but release the lever and the lock releases. Bad spring, broken, not sure.

acetomatoco

yup, it probably has a broken lock latch... Imagine if your new digital light swith had a problem... nothing works...and you are sol....

Barrman

The switches with the straight screws have bigger/thicker levers and metal parts connected to the levers. They are also the ones that according to the old manuals are rebuildable. Notice all the switches in the cartoons have the straight screws.

Newer switches had phillips head screws, thinner levers and plastic where the levers attached. They are not rebuildable. At least, the manuals stopped mentioning how to take them apart and service them.

Just something I figured out while going through a pile of 3-levers trying to see which ones were good and which ones weren't. Yours is the old style with metal parts.

ida34

Bjorn,
I think the first PS article is saying all switches need to have the unlock switch moved up to move the service drive switch to the stop light position but some switches require a movement of the unlock lever to move the service switch from brake to service drive while some allow you to move the service lever from stop light to service drive without using the unlock lever.

acetomatoco

Me, too.. cuz I was steering with the other hand... I remember getting those PS mags during the sixties, some of us actually read them...but after 40 years I need help remembering what I read.. for sure...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Abnormal 3-lever light switch

acetomatoco said:
yup, it probably has a broken lock latch... Imagine if your new digital light swith had a problem... nothing works...and you are sol....
My pushbutton light switch has no lock lever to break! LOL

cbvet

RE: Re: RE: Abnormal 3-lever light switch

I remember replacing a three-lever switch on a Deuce in 'Nam, for just that reason.
The Senior Chief said it was broken.
Eric
CBVET

ida34

I have the pushbutton on my deuce also but lets see some of the people new to driving these try the one handed technique.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

While driving, it would be rare to need to use the locking lever, at least in my case, I turn it on before getting on the road and flipping the "dimmer" (lower left) lever lets me turn the head lights on and off without using the locking lever, good for flashing head lights while driving.
Besides the one handed operation is not difficult and can be done blind folded....of course, with the broken locking lever it's all academic...

You push button guys, you still have the hi/lo beam switch, which is electro mechanical, so you are still not 100% solid state. :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Funny Bjorn! I'm not too concerned about being solid state and I certainly have no problem with the tried and true 3 lever, just like my pushbutton switch as well. At the current price these things have been selling at, I'll be keeping the one I have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks