• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone know what typerwriter oil is?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I saved a 5 gallon can of old typewriter oil from disposal, and I am wondering what it is and if I can burn it. It is a very refined oil as it is very clear, it feels like a very light oil, and it does not have a strong smell to it. Like most old can it does not say much of anything on the label. I ran across a website call typewriter oil 10 weight non-detergent motor oil. I am thinking of tossing it in with a fill up in a either the deuce or CUCV depending which I fill up next. Any ideas on this one?

acetomatoco

In the old days, every household had a can of 3 in 1 oil for jobs like that... Typewriter oil was of the same type only specifically a little less viscous... should be fine in M/F with your #2 Diesel ....I would use it in the Deuce...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I was gonna say 3 in1 too. I have an old can here. I went out and coated a rag with it and set it a fire. Lots of black smoke, you could use it in the multi, probably without dilluting it.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought typewriter oil was something like, "frequency grease." You know, the stuff you send a new guy for. Like, "a thousand feet of flight line," or an ID10T form. Or, a case of helium filled BA1100Ns. I guess there is such thing as "typewriter oil." In the civilian world, it's "3-in-1" or "Handy-Oil." Got it now. :idea:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it's minerial oil. Take your mutli to the gas station. Dump the oil in the tank then fill the truck with diesel. The IP will love the lube!!!

wdbtchr

In the chemical industry the joke is t send the newbie to the lab for a bottle of blue vaccum. Then the guys in the lab would tell him they were out of blue, could he use white vaccum.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once had a fellow worker yell down to the new laborer"go get me a bucket of 1/2" bolt holes outta the gang-box"! We all watched for about 15 minutes as he removed everything from the box, looking for them! At one point he yelled back to us,"what size did you want?" haha, still makes me laugh.

Typewriter oil is just like sewing machine oil and 3in1 oil. Usually light mineral oils. I'm surprised nobody has found any barrels of banana oil yet!(that would smell good)

emr

Years ago I had a laboror, that was as dumb as a rock and strong as a mule, so i always made him do stuff like , make sure the blue ended studs are stacked to the right of the red ended studs, and so on, so one day he runs over to me and says, we are all out of blue ended studs, So I said... now this was a 150 house development and all mud, and we were framers, ... RUN down to the last house i just saw the builder go in there and tell Him we need Blue ended studs, He sprinted all the way to the other end of the development ran into the house, now we are all falling down laughing... waiting for him to come out and flip us the bird, but instead He RUNS even faster all the way back , and yelling when getting close, He said the are on the next truck coming in !!!! We all were crying by now!!!!, man he was covered in mud, and stopped dead when he saw us all rolling around laughing, oh well the good ol days, Randy

sprucemt

typewriter oil

50 cents per 1oz times 128 ounces equals $64.00 per gallon of saleable oil times 5 gallons equals $320.00. Yup, go ahead and burn it up.

cbvet

RE: typewriter oil

In 'Nam, we Seabee ratchetheads used to send the new guy to the parts room for "muffler bearings". Parts guy would say we are out, but they just got a bunch over at 3rd Marines. Marines would send him to the dock area, 'cause the Navy always has extras. Navy said check with the Air Force, & on & on.
You could keep a guy running all day!
Eric
CBVET

JDToumanian

I'm surprised that I'm the only one to say this but, WHAT A WASTE!!! High quality machine oils are very expensive... I wouldn't be surprised if Uncle paid $300 or more for that oil. Isn't there anything better to do with it than burn it?

There we go... I just previewed and saw that Spruce Mt. posted up. Maybe sell it to him for repackaging?

Jon

FrankUSMC

We would tell our young Marines to go to the flight line and see if a GU11 had landed, or a B1RD...
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks