• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins Turbo on a 6.2?

cpallme

First I would like to start off by saying that this is a project for way down the road, but it just fell into my lap recently and was wanting to get some feedback on the idea from those a bit more knowledgeable on the subject than I. As of right now I have very little knowledge and experience with turbochargers, but that will soon be changing.

A little background information. M1009 just shy of 100k miles. Got as a fixer-upper and DD in high school and continue to drive daily while home from college (Roll Tide!) and slowly make it into a reasonably decent and reliable offroad vehicle. See below

Anyways, onto the big question/idea. A friend of my father and I works for a Cummins turbo manufacturing facility nearby. In passing he mentioned that he would probably be able to get his hands on a turbo for the truck. My question for the 6.2 gurus is that is it worth the work or even possible to modify one to work with a 6.2? From what little information I could scrounge up, it looks as if it would not be too difficult to accomplish, however I could find very little.

Please let me know any thoughts on the subject or any questions you may have,

Carter

Attachments

av8rnik

have you search this section for all the turbo build threads? I am in the process of getting the alst few pieces for my turbo project, using a holset hx35W, guess that or something similar is what your friend can get you? From what i have learned, the easy part is getting the big items like the intake upper and lower pieces and exhaust manifold. the tricky part (aside from the actual install) is deciding how you want to handle the oil lines. the feed is pretty straight forward but the return is not. two schools of thought i have come across, remove the mechanical lift pump and put the return into the spot the lift pump comes off, this is how the 6.5L is setup. THis requires an electric fuel pump install. The alternative is weld a fitting into the oil pan and send the return to that fitting.

banks makes an adapter plate for their kits so you retain the mechanical lift pump and still route the return to the same location, unfortunately i have not found anywhere you can get just that adapter plate.

good luck.

cpallme

Av8rnik,

I should have done more research on the turbo build threads. My apologies. I plan on an electric fuel pump in the next couple weeks anyways so I would probably go the mechanical lift pump delete route. And to answer your question, from what I understand it would more than likely be a holset hx35 or hx40.

Thank you for your response.

av8rnik

no worries, just letting you know there are lots of threads here to read through...I have been doing the same. I am still debating what to do with the lift pump, was not something I was planning on. It is the little details that will get you. Also, with the manifolds and intake, try and get all the bolts and make a diagram of where each go beacuse they are not all the same. Even if they are in bad shape, you can at least use the bad ones to go find some new ones to replace them with. Good luck!

cpallme

Thank you for the tip. I will begin to do more research on here on what all is needed. Just wish there were better pull a parts in my area. I will keep looking. Good luck to you as well!

av8rnik

if you want all the parts except the turbo try giving this guy a call, i know he has an engine with everything still on it. i have been bugging him about the oil return block plate and i think its not worth the effort for him to just pull that for me. I am sure he would be willing to pull what you need since you need the whole setup minus the turbo.

George at 606-407-5588
http://www.masoncoautosales.com/

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The HX35's map isn't very well suited to the 6.2's range. Plus it's a twin scroll design and the 6.2/6.5 manifold is a single scroll manifold. It will work mechanically. And honestly outflow the 6.5 turbo. But the 22:1 CR of the 6.2 doesn't lend well to boost over 12-15psi. I routinely pushed my HX35 to 37psi (about as high/hot as you can push it) on my 5.9 cummins. It performed well in that setup, but it was a twin scroll setup. And a 5.9 can easily deal with 30psi of boost stock.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks