• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual Alternators with AC Compressor (not m1010)

brazengoat06

Wondering if anyone has figured out a way to run dual alternators and still add on an AC Compressor? Seems like if one could fab up some brackets and get creative that it could be done.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure it can be done. There is an A/C place in AZ or TX that sells the mounts. Sits low on the passenger side and you need to add a pulley to the crank.

brazengoat06

talked with nostalgic and they want $350+ just for the bracket!!! All I need is bracket and compressor. the compressor was very reasonable at around $200. now im wondering if anybody has a bracket that we can take to a machine shop and have some made lol.

Barrman

I got one of their set ups off a fellow members truck a few months ago. I was going to do the copy method for myself. It isn't that easy. A few bends and the holes with sleeves make it so a hydralic press brake is going to be needed. Not many small shops have that.

The company they buy it from wants around $250 for the brackets and pulley spacers along with the pulley. I will have to find their contact info.

brazengoat06

I might be able to do 250. will the company that makes them sell directly to me though? that or I wonder if they will sell wholesale to an auto shop? if you can find the contact info that would be awesome thanks

mcsteffensr

I got the CUCV dual alternator kit from nostalgic air for $1049. It is a complete kit and well worth the price. It comes with all the vents and all the parts you need to install it. I later had to move the compressor when I installed a banks sidewinder turbo kit. I still wanted the dual voltage so I had to purchase a dual voltage alternator from AC Delco to keep the 12 and 24 volt systems. I moved the compressor to the passenger alt mount and the new dual voltage alternator bolted up on the drivers side alternator bracket. Just something you might want to consider if you plan on getting a turbo in the future. I can post pics and details if you would like.

brazengoat06

Thanks ill give them a call tomorrow.

well I have an m1010 that someone before me removed the duvac and swapped the accessory drive to that of a regular cucv. I just need to add a compressor so that I can utilize the rear a/c. I also need to be able to take both alternators because of all my lights and of course a/c blower. what kind of amps does that single dual voltage alternator put out? maybe I can just run that setup instead.

I got the CUCV dual alternator kit from nostalgic air for $1049. It is a complete kit and well worth the price. It comes with all the vents and all the parts you need to install it. I later had to move the compressor when I installed a banks sidewinder turbo kit. I still wanted the dual voltage so I had to purchase a dual voltage alternator from AC Delco to keep the 12 and 24 volt systems. I moved the compressor to the passenger alt mount and the new dual voltage alternator bolted up on the drivers side alternator bracket. Just something you might want to consider if you plan on getting a turbo in the future. I can post pics and details if you would like.

mcsteffensr

Thanks ill give them a call tomorrow.

well I have an m1010 that someone before me removed the duvac and swapped the accessory drive to that of a regular cucv. I just need to add a compressor so that I can utilize the rear a/c. I also need to be able to take both alternators because of all my lights and of course a/c blower. what kind of amps does that single dual voltage alternator put out? maybe I can just run that setup instead.
They have several amp ratings. I am running a 105 amp. I use the 24v side to charge after starting and glow plugs and to run my 2 16" radiator fans. The 12 volt side charges and runs everything else. I have six LED work/drive lights that put out 2400 lumens, a 12v air compressor, 3k/6k inverter, a 400w inverter, and a nice stereo. I haven't had any problems yet. The alt uses a trans former on the back to generate 24v it essentially doubles the output of the alt for your 24v side.

mcsteffensr

I believe it is an AC Delco 7256N if I remember correctly. In stock form the drivers side alt has ground to the chassis and produces 12v. The 12v goes to the 12v bus on the firewall and then to the ground side of the passenger side alt. the passenger side alt takes the 12v and bumps it up to 24v out. When I removed the passenger alt I didn't want to hack up my harness so I extended both the 12v and 24v wires back over to the drivers side and hooked them up to the new alt. I can post some pictures of the wiring tomorrow if you want to see it.

mcsteffensr

I used the existing alt mounts. The bottom bracket for the alt has a spacer on the bottom to account for the longer length but the front tab bolts straight to the bracket. On top I made a piece to bolt to the upper tab and over to the existing tension bracket. For the compressor I made a set of 3 spacers to bring the pully inline with the original passenger alt pulley. Then cut out a curved piece to attach to the tensioner bracket. I just took some pics. I will resize and upload when I get home.

mcsteffensr

I used the compressor that came in the nostalgic air kit for the CUCV. I don't recall what P/N they used but you could probably use any style you wanted and you can get to bolt in. here is some pics of how I set it up.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks