• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting a Reese hitch.

N1265

I went to the junk yard today and picked up a Reese hitch for my M880. But now I am wondering what size and grade bolts to use to mount it ?

What do you guys suggest ?

N1265

Many thanks guys, because of the size of the holes already in the hitch it Looks like I will be going with grade 8, 9/16ths... 3 on each side.

( 5/8ths are just a tad big for the holes already there )

Just out of curiosity. does any body know how much force it would take to sheer a 9/16ths grade 8 bolt ?

acetomatoco

Well, sheer is almost transparent, and shear is related to strength to begin with... The weak link will be the pin in your hitch adaptor...so you really don't need anything stronger than that.. Secondly, go to the Hitch Mfrs web site and get the installation instructions for a particular hitch and see what bolts are in it....or thirdly just go to a U Haul Hitch store and buy some of the hardware they use. Remember there is a reverse ratio when go from grade 5 to 8, the ability to withstand shock or to stretch diminishes as the shear strength increases...as I leave here, I am going to Google and type "bolt shear strength" and see what happens

acetomatoco

OK... there were 513000 hits on Google and the info you want is available in beaucoup quantity in just the first five...have fun... "bolt shear strength"

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, the EZ hitch kit I put on my '85 one ton came with 1/2 x13, gr 8 capscrews, 4 each side.

Jones

Google "bolt shear strength" and you should turn up some handy comparison charts.
Above all; regardless of what grade bolts you use-- KEEP 'EM TIGHT. Hitch bolts are notorious for loosening up during towing operations-- and a loose bolt will cause all kinds of grief as it usually wallows out the bolt hole before failing.
If you have a corresponding holes of different sizes, chase with a drill to use the max dia. bolt for that position. Undersized bolts are asking for trouble too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks