• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My waste oil availability.

ratman

Forgive me if part of this has been covered.. I tried searching.

First I live in south Louisiana so I am assuming straight WVO with a 2 tank system would be my best bet? It only drops below 80 degrees here for like 3 months of the year. I own my home, but it is a small home in a dense area so space is a concern.

My 2 best potential sources are a local burger chain and a corner store that does lunch, including fried foods. I imagine both use hydrogenated oil.. Ive read here that when processing hydrogenated oil into bio-diesel it works well but creates more waste. What about for WVO use? Ive read on greasecar.com or one of its competitors that hydrogenated oil is not ideal, can it be used with additional filtering? There are chinese restaurants around but I know the owners of these two places in passing so they would probably be more cooperative.

Thanks again for any replies.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get the WVO directly from the fryer, it will contain little or no hydrogenated oil. Reading the label of soybean fryer oil, it does have some preservatives added, that's all.
Properly filtered, you can mix it straight with regular diesel, probably up to 20% without any problems with starting the engine on cool mornings. With the low sulfur diesel now served, it's a good idea to add some VO anyway for lubricity.

ratman

So for my factory tank (start-up, shut down tank) I should use up to 20% wvo with the diesel and for the WVO tank even if the oil says it is hydrogenated if I get it straight from the fryer ill be fine? Or if I dont get it straight from the fryer if I reheat it and filter it it will be usuable as 100% WVO?

Thanks again.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a two tank system, run 100% diesel in the start-up/shut-down tank with a small amount of VO for lubricity.

For a single tank system, run up to 20% WVO with your regular diesel.

If the oil does not come straight from the fryer, it may be contaminated with water, cleansers etc and appropriate measures to get rid of the water etc are in order...and yes, put it in your second tank, which must be heated, 100% WVO if you can get the temp up to 140°F or more.

Re: RE: My waste oil availability.

cranetruck said:
With the low sulfur diesel now served, it's a good idea to add some VO anyway for lubricity.
Bjorn,

So is the new low sulfur diesel going to have a negative impact on our multi over an extended period of time? How many hours or miles if so?

With the new diesel being low sulfur content and advisable to use some WVO can I just go to COSTCO or Smart and Final and get a 5 gal jug of soybean oil (about $3.05 a gal )
and throw a gallon or two in the tank to give it some lubricity. It is actually cheaper than diesel anyway - ($3.39 a gal here at the moment).

I tried to collect the WVO (you received the results of my foraging when you came out here) but there is just no room here to "crack" to BIO or filter it and besides that............I just don't have anymore extra time available.

I'd filter some old motor oil but then I refer to the paragraph above. :?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks