• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why does my FMTV LVAD have a 12v electrical system?

jpinst

So, I started upgrading the LVAD lights to LED. i took out some Trucklite military LED lights and began as usual, to disconnect the old and reconnect the new. However, the numbers on the wires did not match the new unit. I turned over the housing of the old unit and in yellow letters it was written "12 volts." I checked the front lights and found the same.

In my experience, both with the military and with many different military trucks, I have never seen a 12v military truck that was not an NTV. Even my LMTV's are 24v.

So my question is why would this be the case with the LVAD? The main difference between my truck and a normal FMTV M1083 is this one has a cab with folding windows and doors, so it can be strapped down and thrown out of an airplane. Could this fact be part of the reason it is 12v? It's not that old of a truck either. Now, I am going to have to use the normal 12 volt lights with 12v led bulbs. Nonetheless, I wasted a good part of a day being confused.

2014-06-14 17.58.59.jpg2014-06-14 17.58.45.jpg2014-06-14 17.58.32.jpg

ke5eua

and why do you suppose they did that?
Most of the electronics on board should be 12v, just slap on a 24/12v alternator and 24v starter, nato slave plug and got yourself a mv.

Gotta think, the fmtv utilize a lot of off the self parts, and instead of asking all the electronic manufactures to make their part 24v they just make the majority of the system 12v and only have the 24v system for the starting.

Once you start getting into having more than one or two electronic control systems that depend on 12v, they just design the entire system to use 12v.

Look at the light setup, don't see the typical three switch / electric light panel, nope all integrated into the system.

DSD277

In my experience, both with the military and with many different military trucks, I have never seen a 12v military truck that was not an NTV. Even my LMTV's are 24v.
All FMTVs have 12v lamps. It is part of the bad rap FMTVs get. 7 of 8 turn/brake/tail lamps had been changed to 24v bulbs in my M1094. And the truck gets blamed for the dim lamps:x

CAMO21

does the Stewart and Stevenson 2 1/2 ton Lmtv 1078 use 12 volt lighting. If so is there any spare terminals on the fuse panel to pick up 12 volt for radio and light install.

ke5eua

Be careful when messing with the 12v or 24v terminal lugs in the breaker panel. When the civilians were installing the "jammer" in my LMTV he welded his ratchet and blew the main fuse link behind the cab.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks