• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 volt trailer lights

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
I am fitting my car hauler trailer with a pintle hitch so I can tow my jeep with the deuce. I heard somewhere that you could use LED lights and they would operate with both 12 and 24 volts. Can anybody confirm or deny? This would allow me to use it with my pick up and the deuce if possible.

acetomatoco

RE: lights

I would hope you are fitting your car hauling trailer with a lunette eye.. as a pintle hitch on the Deuce and one on the Trailer, too will not be polite. The good news is that some LEDs will tolerate in excess of 30 volts DC. Check the specs on the individual lights.. I would just put 24V bulbs in the existing lights... they will be a little dim on 12V, but last a long time..

NEIOWA

Re: RE: lights

acetomatoco said:
I would hope you are fitting your car hauling trailer with a lunette eye.. as a pintle hitch on the Deuce and one on the Trailer, too will not be polite..
OK in San Francisco. Don't ask, don't tell.

67Beast

I just took an old set of deuce taillights that were cracked and not in good enough shape for me to use when restoring the deuce and added an extra set of brackets and those lights on my trailer. Made a seperate wiring harness for the 24v lights that I plug into the deuce only, and left the original 12v system alone. Basiclly best of both worlds.

Michael

This subject has been debated on the MV mailing list several times also. You might want to check their archives also. It used to be cost prohibitive because each light was something like $100, but now I see on the link above that you can get them for $25 each.

I wonder what the DOT police think of a duel system. From what I understand, every light has to work no matter if it is needed to meet minimum number of lights required by law or just for decoration. If you have separate 12v and 24v lights only half of them will be working at any given time.

Changing the bulbs back and forth is the cheep way to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks