• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What colors are these?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know the exact names and numbers, but it looks like a variation of the old MERDC four-color camo scheme. I see green, black, sand, and a faded brown in there. The green is really bright, but I think it faded that way over time.

Elwenil

Perhaps that isn't a regulation paint job. It looks like it may have been done by a civilian owner judging by the horrible looking star on the door under the camo paint.

citizensoldier

Smart ass gimp!!! When I look at the paint list there are 10 different ones?
34151 Light green
34102 Dark green
30257 earth yellow
30117 earth red
30118 field drab
30277 sand
34079 forest green
37038 black.. I can figure this one out..
30099 earth brown
34094 green
Want to match the paint job on it now..

Elwenil

I dunno, I question the authenticity of that star. It looks a little lopsided and way too big. Almost like someone was copying a WWII era look or something. But then stranger things have come out of the military, lol.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: another shot of it

I think your stars, hood numbers and paint represent different eras and schemes. Do you want it how you want it or correct for a specific period? It looks like MERDC but missing the 4th color. Fading also will have a negative effect on one trying to determine the exact color of the paint visually. You can eliminate 34094, I surely don't see that color on the truck.

Jones

RE: another shot of it

Finding unfaded areas like on the top of the fuel tank, door jambs, inside the hood or cab would be a big help. Then go after them with your FS595b Color Fan Deck.
Good hunnting.

67Beast

Well for proper 4 color camo in the US winter/ Europe pattern the colors should be;
1. Main- Forrest Green-34079
2. Secondary- Feild Drab-30118
3. Accent #1- Sand-30277
4. Accent #2-Black-37038

4 color patterns;
Winter US & Europe - FG FD S BL
Snow - temprate w/trees & shrubs FG W S BL
Snow - temperate w/open terrain W FD S BL
Summer US & Europe - FG LG S BL
Tropics - FG DG LG BL
Gray desert- S FD EY BL
Red desert- ER EY S BL
Winter Arctic- W W W W

Abbreviation= Color
W =White
DS =Desert Sand
S =Sand
EY =Earth Yellow
ER =Earth Red
FD =Field Drab
EB =Earth Brown
OD =Olive Drab
LG =Light Green
DG =Dark Green
FG =Forest Green
BL =Black

Winter US & Europe seems to be the most common color combo that you see on vehicles.

Elwenil

After looking at the second pic, it appears that there are four colors in that pattern, but it's just very hard to see. There are slightly darker patches in the khaki color but they are almost faded together. There's also another color of green on there but it looks like it was just touched up with the wrong color. I don't have time to dig through the pattern manuals now but I still think that pattern is a bit off from the normal one seen on a M109. And the stars are definitely an oddity.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As others have mentioned, it certainly seems to be a variation of MERDC. This happens to be my favorite, and I tried to duplicate it on my deuce tipper. The very nature of this camo scheme lends itself to interpretation and I bet you will be hard pressed to ever find two exactly the same. Most were brushed on freehanded, and weathering changes the colors.

You are in luck, . . . because the manual you need is ready for download in the Tech Manual Section:

TB 43-0147 COLOR, MARKING AND CAMOUFLAGE PATTERNS USED ON MILITARY EQUIPMENT (4-color MERDC Dec. 1975)

The big black stars on the doors would be incorrect for this camo pattern, but would have small black stars on the front bumper and rear.

Attachments

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Below are a couple of other previous discussions which were centered around McGuyver's M880. He has the numbers of the paint colors listed in one of the threads.
I really, really, really like the look of his colors. They seem to look the most authentic to original.

Incidentally, I tried the gillespie colors he listed, . . . the field drab looked too dark, and the green looked too shiny. I ended up going to the local Porter paint store and had them special mix colors from samples. I think they turned out too light. :(
. . . never satisfied I guess.

Here's the McGuyver links:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3135
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=29723

citizensoldier

Thank you Beast and Crusher.. That is very helpful.
This truck is a 68 and its base color is the dark gloss OD with white numbers and stars "Veitnam"? . The stars and numbers are vynil stickers but were installed by the military. The stars and numbers were later painted over and still has a black set of numbers and light brown small stars on the front bumper and the center rear. It has a white star on the hood, top of the van body, both doors and the back door.. Not done by a civi person! I am the second owner of this truck sense release from the military. First owner did nothing to it.. Just sat..
I painted the numbers and stars black to be a bit different because white looked like hell. Plus you could see the outline under the camo paint.
All the camo pattern was done with a brush and yes it is faded a bit. You can see the newer trailer behind it done by the military the colors are a bit darker.
Just didint know what color was each name on the paint list so I could order something close. I painted the wheels with Ace house paint so thats all together different. Thank you guys I now know what to order now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks