• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing

Hi gents
I have a 1950 CJ2A military jeep. I am wondering if it can be towed with a tow bar, all four wheels down, without causing damage to anything. Has anyone else done this? Just trying to think ahead to next year when I can go places with it.
Thanks for any responses in advance.............

Bob C

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. Put tranny in neutral and the transfer case in neutral. Should be good to go

Jeff Lakaszcyck

It's been over 35 years since I flat towed a Jeep but I was always told to NEVER flat tow a model 18 transfer case without removing the rear driveshaft, and the front driveshaft as well if there were no front lockout hubs. It was said that the bearings would not be oiled properly when towing with the transmission and transfer case in neutral. In the '60's and '70's many of the off roaders converted their Jeep rear ends to full floating, and many that did this also installed lockout hubs on the rear so they would not have to remove the driveshaft when flat towing. I always removed the rear driveshaft when flat towing. I once flat towed a '64 CJ-5 from Massachusetts to Florida and had no problems. If you will be flat towing off pavement the front wheels will not track well, so make sure to bring a buddy to help steer.

gerrykan

If you leave the drive shafts connected, keep vehicle speeds within reason.
The 5.38 gears usually found in the old CJ's will have the drive shafts and transfercase gears singing at 70 MPH.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
One of the best things about Jeeps is how small they are and how easily transported.

You don't need a full size trailer to move one-clintogf has a small, 12' utility trailer and our GPW fits perfect on it. A fella at the Ga Rally this year had one on a similar trailer:

WP_004613.jpg

Or you can put it in the back of a deuce or 5-ton:

Mel_trying_the_ramps.jpgSputnik_loaded.jpg

Any car hauling trailer will obviously do, with room left over:

20141007_190121.jpg20141007_190057.jpg

Were I going to flat tow any old Jeep, I'd keep it slow (<50mph) due to the gears and I'd make sure the rear driveshaft was disconnected and the front hubs were unlocked or the front driveshaft removed.

That's just me-I am cautious and conservative with gear.

Even with everything disconnected, there's no way I'd go fast. Do the math about how fast you're spinning the pinion gear in a differential that has 4.88 gears and little short tires.

Last edited:

Rmtaunton

All you need is a little duel axle utility trailer they are light , long ago I had a 12 foot one that had plenty of room

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks