• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery replacement

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When we have bad batteries in the LMTV/5t version and we do not want to use the military batteries, we can not replace with the group 31s like we do with other M series because of height and length, I have found that group 24Fs will fit tight without any cover mods and spin the engine over without any strain.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can buy the batteries from Advanced Auto. The brown and black AGM ones. May need to buy a box/bag of acid to fill them as they are not always shipped filled.

I've put them in many trucks that I recovered.

coachgeo

Yes on my 6 battery configuration I had to use military batter terminals and cable them together. The 4 battery setup I was able to use the existing cables put in different locations.
Just had my batteries stolen grrr.. is there an advantage when thinking overland in set up to 6 battery?. Habitat will have its own batteries

Last edited:

coachgeo

right now going to have to go with used battery..... just too much $$$ from unexpected theft of them. is the 27's the ones that need modified battery box?

coachgeo

right now at wallyworld the 27's are extremely close in same price as 24F (sealed type) but 27 has 5yr warranty and more cca.... how well do 27's fit compared to 24's. ?? is there a letter code to go with 27, F or E orr?

yeah she is getting a lock on the battery box.... then again neighbor's fleet of trucks batteries were all under the hydraulic beds and they somehow managed to get all the beds up without issue... (in an industrial park) so this was a pro job. They hit about 5 trucks all at once and timeline seems to show it took all of 30 min. So must have been a pro heist..... probably would have tools to destroy lock to get to the batteries in mine anyway

Last edited:

coachgeo

right now going to have to go with used battery..... just too much $$$ from unexpected theft of them. is the 27's the ones that need modified battery box?
final decision.... took my whole month of income from a renter and went ahead and bought four 24F's at dollars under 100 bucks each with warranty of "3yr replace / 2yr pro-rate" 750 cca and 130 reserve capacity*. Was not least costly; but not most expensive flooded lead acid either. Same reserve capacity for the next layer up flooded cell and only 60 cca less than the next layer up as well. Went with Wallyworld cause they were lowest charge on cores; that I didn't have, and almost lowest price on batteries as well. They also offered to let me turn in anything for a core and I don't have to do it NOW. Thus, overtime that combination seemed to work out best dollar an cents wise. But geeezzz it still hurt.

* Reserve Capacity (RC) is a very important rating. This is the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80°F will discharge 25 amps until the battery drops below 10.5 volts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks