• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Street Legal Idaho + Cross International boarders

Ford Prefect

Hello all,

So I have been reading things on here over the last several years, but now I am thinking of getting my hands dirty.

Looking to buy an LMTV to convert to an expedition vehicle.

Can anyone point me to where I would find info on IDAHO registration, and what is required to officially call this an RV?

Secondly I am interested in being able to travel around he world. Any thoughts on the legality of taking one out of the country? I understand that some, but not all, military trucks are forbidden to leave the USA.

Greatful for for the input. The best I have found with the search was for CA on a Duece.

VR
Brian

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

So I have been reading things on here over the last several years, but now I am thinking of getting my hands dirty.

Looking to buy an LMTV to convert to an expedition vehicle.

Can anyone point me to where I would find info on IDAHO registration, and what is required to officially call this an RV?

Secondly I am interested in being able to travel around he world. Any thoughts on the legality of taking one out of the country? I understand that some, but not all, military trucks are forbidden to leave the USA.

Greatful for for the input. The best I have found with the search was for CA on a Duece.

VR
Brian
The only way to get the correct information is call the Idaho DMV .

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generally an RV has to have at least four or five of the following: Beds, sink, refrigerator, stove, 115 A/C power, toilet, HVAC. Permanently installed, not temporary! Number of required items depends on the state and may include additional items. YMMV.

Ford Prefect

Thanks everyone!

so Idaho is apparently very easy to plate the truck as a military vehicle, but if I get it turned into an RV I have to pay the registration for BOTH military AND RV every year... Bummer...

The other bummer is that I have to drive the vehicle back to Idaho to have it visibly inspected to change it over to an RV. Wonder if I can fly the guy out here... :)

Dos anyone know about international travel?

Thanks again eveyone.

Ford Prefect

Oh, and SCSG-G4, I managed to get in touch with them via the link provided swbradley1, and you are correct, four of the listed items.

a buddy from TN just had to show he was working toward the conversion, so put in wood floors and he got it... Go figure.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you show me that rule please?
"• Location: We require that all members include their state in their new member profile. This allows the other members to know their neighbors. Users who refuse to add their location will be subject to warning, temporary ban, and then permanent ban."

I think what you have now is sufficient. The issue before was with you stating something other than a physical location.

What part of ID are you from? I went to HS in Grangeville and then to the U of I in Moscow. Also lived in Lewiston, Idaho Falls, Sandpoint, and Spirit Lake at one point or another.

KsM715

Couple of question...... Why Idaho? From the sounds of it you do not live nor plan to live in Idaho then why not register it in the state you live in? Unless you plan on living in Canada (crossing borders part) then why not just go through the process of registering it there? Or are you just trying to skirt the laws and go with what's cheapest and easiest rather than do the proper thing?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple of question...... Why Idaho? From the sounds of it you do not live nor plan to live in Idaho then why not register it in the state you live in? Unless you plan on living in Canada (crossing borders part) then why not just go through the process of registering it there? Or are you just trying to skirt the laws and go with what's cheapest and easiest rather than do the proper thing?
OP is in Afghanistan. I believe his home of record is Idaho. In his intitial post his "Location" had "where ever the Army Sends me" and someone mentioned the need for a physical location (although they said one of the 50 States). The site requests that people in the US put which State they are in but I believe those in other countries can just put that in. If you're like me you have no idea which State or Province is in which country or where it might be located in that country. I have enough trouble figuring things out beyond the borders of Texas (which is a country unto itself).

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure the folks (Alex) over at the Idaho Motor Pool in Fruitland, ID (near Boise) would be pleased to help you (also sure they'd be more pleased if your truck was purchased from them). I've heard nothing but good things about them, but I've not had any business dealings with them. Still, Alex did offer me some invaluable tips over the phone for flushing my deuce's coolant.

www.idahomotorpool.com

Last edited:

KsM715

"Open mouth insert foot"

i dont know know what I was thinking when I posted that. I completely mis-read the original post and missed the part about wanting to travel once he has the time.

I don't believe the trucks are forbidden from leaving the country, just can't sell it out side of the country. I know people have driven them from the U.S. across Canada and up to Alaska, and some have gone south into Mexico with them

Ford Prefect

Right now I am stationed in Another state. I lived in Idaho for a little over a month. My wife and her family are from there. We plate all of our vehicles in Idaho as we are legal residents said state as is our prerogative as active military.

I am very involved in the overland travel community, and eventually I will either begin my RTW in this truck, OR I will sell it in the community so as to build my eventual RTW a truck. Nth at is my reason for, and interest in, international travel.

So so hopefully that clears up all the invasive questions into my personal life and my motivations for building what I plan to be a private vehicle for my family. Cheers.

After getting the the info about Idaho, it looks like when I get back, and get the truck I should be good to go, and it sounds like I should be ok the drive outside the USA with the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks