• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MTV hydraulic brake actuator

sandcobra164

We've recently within the past few years gotten FMTV's. I have done tons of work on them but there is one thing that I do not understand. Why do they have brake reservoirs and an air over hydraulic booster tucked between the step and the front bumper on each side? My new Wrecker even has it and it's equipped with an LTAS cab which is tilted by an electro-hydraulic pump. I could probably figure it out on my own if I was around them longer than a weekend a month, 2 weeks out of the year but we're too busy doing other stuff on those days. Please help because I'm confused.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front axle brakes are hydraulic actuated, why I don't know. Instead of the usual air chamber forcing the wedges in to actuate the shoes, these have hydraulic cylinders to force the wedge. The Caiman chassis that were scrapped here were 50/50 on air and hydraulic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks