• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1078 list of mods

aheilmann68

NCM_0520.jpgAfter selling my bobbed m923a2 and getting bored, I got lucky on a m1078 out of ft drum. Said it was driven on the lot but was dead due to the cold (-40f). Got it hauled home, warmed it up to 5f and charged the batteries and she hesitated but started. Didnt have that many issues but went through everything and cleaned and lubricated.
This I have done:
All new flitlers and fluids on everything
Fabbed a new turret cover from 3/16" aluminum diamond plate and gas struts
Bed lined the entire cab
Sound deadened the inside and outside of the cab (lizardskin type product)
Installed high speed gears
Fabbed an aluminum roof rack and 50" led brow light as well as rear lights
Removed back up light and replaced with 2 leds
Made a ceiling mounted radio and switch consoleNCM_0526.jpgNCM_0539.jpgNCM_0536.jpgNCM_0487.jpgNCM_0503.jpg

aheilmann68

Also replaced the water pump belt and the alternator belts.
Ill list the cross reference numbers when I get a second

Water pump is a Dayco 17335 or Cat 7E0744
Alternator belts are Napa premium xl 25-9580

Last edited:

Harry Fupa

That looks really good! A few weeks ago I managed to pick myself up a LMTV at Ft. Drum as well, and I'm about to start the process of changing out all of the fluids and filters. Where did you get your high speed gears?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool looking rail around the top of the cab. Nice work, how did you attach the rail?

aheilmann68

High speed gears came from primier metal buyers, I have an extra set I bought that I intend on selling.
Roof rack is bolted down with nut-serts into the top of the cab, ill try to get better pictures this week.

aheilmann68

Gears work great. Now to balance the wheels when running above 55. Gears are 3.07:1. Roof rack Iis bolted to the roof with nutserts. Now looking to put in a pyro and open her up a little. I am not sure what you mean by defroster plenumn. Its open across the windshild. I do need a new speed selector swicth and fan motor assembly. Apparently 3' of chain and a lock can fit inside the squirrel cage. When I pulled it out I thought it was a magic trick. Anyone have a lead on a c for these truck before I start thinking of a plan?

turnkey

Great truck to play with....using a jap truck to copy off of...works great company in Wi. reworked their trucks using a huso model cabover for the comprsion........looks great...

aheilmann68

MidnightDuramax. just did

Added a pyro last weekend, plan on setting the valves and resetting/advancing the injectors and turning up the motor this weekend or in the next week once I get some good baseline numbers on egts to see where I am running currently.

I am also hoping to get time this weekend to get a hitch fabbed up once I get my CNC plasma table back from being a parts storage and work bench. I have an idea that utilizes a majority of the easy to access bolts in the back and only requires a few additional holes to be drilled but in convent spots. Ill get some pictures up once I get it made up and mounted.

Last edited:

aheilmann68

20150530_085219.jpg20150530_085201.jpg20150530_094337.jpg20150530_102915.jpgFollowed the procedure for the cat 3116 to set valves, adjust injectors and advance them. Turned up the fuel and air ratio and she hauls. 9ulls hills without downshifting which causes egts to climb. Overall its much nicer now to notnhave to work the peddle for power. Building the hitch this week

Last edited:

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
aheilmann68;172407rocedure for the cat 3116 to set valves said:
Can you post some info on the settings / parameters you are using? I would like to do this to mine or have a certified tech do the work. I also read something about shimming the injectors?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks