• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Correct Radio

carmen

Can you please tell me what was the correct radio that was use in the M37 during the VietNam war? If you can list the correct (parts) that was need my number as well as a few pictures that would be great. I know NOTHING about radio equipment so as much info as you can give me would be great.

Thanks

Carmen

BillIdaho

More than likely, a PR25 or PR 77 on top of an AM2060 adapter, on top of an MT1029 mount, with an MX6707 "tuneable" antenna base bolted on a fender somewhere ( I am not sure of the exact location of the antenna). Or maybe an RT246 or RT524 bolted on top of an MT1029 mount.
Need cable information? You will need a CX4720 from the battery to the mount,and my old age is kickin in...I forget the numbers for the others. You will need a CG1773 from the radio to the tuneable, and another ( see the old age comment) cable to the tuneable to swithc it for different freq's.
That should get you started.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The VRC-12 series was late Vietnam era, but most of the VRC-12 series stuff (such as the AM-2060, RT-524, RT-246, etc) went to Germany, Alaska, Korea, or other Cold-War era hot spots, as a potential war with USSR was a higher priority than was Vietnam. Most of the radio gear used in Vietnam was older 1950s and early 1960s (pre-transistor) tube units, such as the RT-66/67/68 transceivers, the older GRC-19 radio set (made up of the venerable Collins R-392 receiver and the T-195 transmitter), or the RT-70 compact vehicle transceiver.

Same story goes for other late-Vietnam era equipment. I have a M725 ambulance, and although many of the M-715 series trucks were made during Vietnam, these trucks mostly went to Cold War hot spots, and Vietnam area had the M-37 power wagons, which were older line and worked just fine in that campaign....

acetomatoco

Could have had an older set with the PP109 and a RT 66 67 68 too.. early on....maybe...with the AB15 antenna and a 116,7,8 mast sections...

vtdeucedriver

maddawg308 said:
The VRC-12 series was late Vietnam era, but most of the VRC-12 series stuff (such as the AM-2060, RT-524, RT-246, etc) went to Germany, Alaska, Korea, or other Cold-War era hot spots, as a potential war with USSR was a higher priority than was Vietnam. Most of the radio gear used in Vietnam was older 1950s and early 1960s (pre-transistor) tube units, such as the RT-66/67/68 transceivers, the older GRC-19 radio set (made up of the venerable Collins R-392 receiver and the T-195 transmitter), or the RT-70 compact vehicle transceiver.

Same story goes for other late-Vietnam era equipment. I have a M725 ambulance, and although many of the M-715 series trucks were made during Vietnam, these trucks mostly went to Cold War hot spots, and Vietnam area had the M-37 power wagons, which were older line and worked just fine in that campaign....
Doing research about the Vietnam war, I have seen more pics of RT-524's installed than I ever have of the RT-68 series.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks