• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

53 m38a1 compatability with 55 cj5

capnkirk13

I have a 1953 m38a1 and in looking for parts, I see alot of 1955-76 cj5, m38a1 etc..What I'm wondering is, will 55 cj5 parts fit my 53 m38a1? I'm mostly looking for suspension, etc. parts. Thanks in advance.

Docter

the diferences in the suspensions are that the military jeeps have more leafs, the shakles are the same the leaf assem overall lenth is the same, its a matter of what you are doing with youre M38a1, if youre budget is tight and you like to drive it around you can substitute parts but if youre restoring or loading youre jeep up i would not recomend.

Hm2klie

Sam Winer in Akron, Ohio has many rusted out A1s w/lots of parts I had 68 69 72 79 cj5s superficial parts are interchangeable ie windshildframe, hood, tailgate you can swap axels but ratios are 5.38-1 military cj5 lowest was 4.88-1 you can swap leaf springs read above. body tubs will swap but cj 5 has no battery compartment swapable parts from cj5 yrs 55-about 70
do not try 76 and up parts many changes all depends if you want want to keep it military

Hm2klie

not sure about brake lines exaust is probably not compatable. I know that mil parts are available for the m38a1 if you want to stay military

TacticalTruck

i just built three. brake hydraulics and rubber lines and shoes were the same as cj but waaay cheaper thru the surplus market than car-quest. exhaust is probably different but it's also readily available thru mv-dealers. i had good luck with bensinger, army jeep parts and surplus city for canvas and seats. and before anyone says it...i know, wrong color:

Attachments

Militoy

Docter said:
the diferences in the suspensions are that the military jeeps have more leafs, the shakles are the same the leaf assem overall lenth is the same...quote]

Front springs on the A1 are reversed as well - shackles are towards the rear.

Still looking for parts, Kirk? I have a 53 M38A1 rolling chassis w/bad body I'll be parting out this summer.

jeeplvr247

I am bringing this thread back from the dead. Is the radiator from a m38a1 interchangeable with one from an early cj5 or cj3b. Also how much of the brake system can be swapped between the two.

Deadguyllc

The extra leaf springs just make the ride more uncomfortable, you don't really need them. The exhaust is routed entirely different. A good source for military parts is Midwest Military. John really knows his stuff, most of it is NOS equipment, and the prices are better than most civilian jeep retailers.

BillF

Lots of misinformation hear. A cj5 and m38a1 share a lot of common parts. Most early cj5's have 5.38:1 axle gear ratios just like the m38a1. All of the mechanical parts are interchangeable. The main difference or than some minor body changes is the m38a1 has 24 volts where the cj5 has 6 or 12 volt system.

army inc

The extra leaf springs just make the ride more uncomfortable, you don't really need them. The exhaust is routed entirely different. A good source for military parts is Midwest Military. John really knows his stuff, most of it is NOS equipment, and the prices are better than most civilian jeep retailers.
So if I wanted a more comfortable ride (not going for a museum quality resto) I could just put civy springs on it and it would ride better? As of right now, I have the military springs on it.

Lots of misinformation hear. A cj5 and m38a1 share a lot of common parts. Most early cj5's have 5.38:1 axle gear ratios just like the m38a1. All of the mechanical parts are interchangeable. The main difference or than some minor body changes is the m38a1 has 24 volts where the cj5 has 6 or 12 volt system.
I thought the same thing. I was told a lot of the CJ5 parts would go with the A1 because the CJ5 was the civy version of the A1 since it was so popular. As for the radiator, are they interchangeable?

zout

I have a CJ5 radiator for Dingers unit - Debs is originaly re-cored. The CJ is thinner but it will bolt in and with the shroud on it you can only tell from looking at the radiator top tank then to see the difference - just more volume for cooling. Blade is the same as well.

army inc

I've got an '74 CJ5 with bad seats. Will M38A1 seats fit in a '74 CJ5?
I think they will. It should work. I wouldn't see why not. I know people can use CJ5 seats in an A1 and reupholster to make them look more military if I remember correctly.

What are the differences in the frame? I'm doing a motorpool resto. If I were to have a CJ5 frame, clearly it's not like I'd be doing anything super "heavy" in the jeep so would I be ok with a CJ frame? Also, how can you tell if you have a CJ frame?

I have a 1960 M38a1 for parts, the body is shot, but the drive line is intact the rear frame section was rotted, I just gave up on it. Sus[ension was all there, axles were good, Strange thing though it had M151 style rims.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks