• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New here from Kansas maybe yall could shed alittle light DUW

BassnTruck

Ok where to start. My first SS truck was a K30 CUCV that did not run and was in bad shape that I picked up for the axles for the Jeep. Second SS is my 88 International 1853 Bus. It has a DT466 and Allision MT643 in it with 24k on the clock. And some 3cyl diesel in the back running the AC system. My third and latest purchase is a 69 (he thinks) M35. A old farmer in his late 60s was selling it local. I have not picked it up at as I am trying to find a way to get it where I need it to go. If I could get ahold of a 35-35' goose I would be set but still looking.

Anyway back to the M35. The man said he used it as a dump truck on the farm years ago untill he knocked out or fell out one of the oil drain plugs and he did not catch it. So as far as I know the MF is toast. Now alittle history on it according to him. He had gotten it years ago. It was used to carry missiles so it has a hyd dump bed on it that runs off the PTO. Not like a dump truck bed it is longer then a standard M35 bed and has this huge mount in the front he said he thinks held the missiles down. I asked him how fast it would go (knowing they are known for 55MPH) He said this one was odd as it would do 70-75. Said it had a second trans (splitter) on it. This is where my ignorance gets me. It has a chart on the dash about it but I thought maybe this was the trasnfercase in Hi and Lo. There are 4 levers on the floor. First being your standard transmission shifter. 2nd and 3rd are right near the front right of the drivers seat. He sais one of them is for the dump bed. Then there is a large lever in the middle of the seats that he said was the second trans. I really did not get any good pics of the inside of it as it is a mess nd such. I did not read all the placks on the dash as there are alot of them and a lot more buttons then some of the other ones I have seen. Where would the transfercashe shifter be or is that the second trans he is talking about? And if so the gearing on this one must be pretty tall to get that kind of speed.

Now that most of the tech info is done. He said some guy came by and just wanted the axles but he really didn't want to part it out if he didn't have to. Being the body looks to be is ruff shape and seems to have alot fo rust (altho I could not push thru it anywhere) I told him I wanted to restore it. So he sold it to me for $400. To be sure how bad it is I will need to blast the whole cab and see what I have to work with. She will need alot of work. Since the motor is shot I want to repower it with a more modern diesel. I was thinking a CAT with 300-350HP and a newer 10 speed. This should net me 80MPH if I wanted. As I want to use this to replace my Ram at some point.

With that being said I took alot of pictures of the rust spots and a few under it but none of the whole thing or the bed. I will get some of those later. Along with the VIN and other numbers.

Any info yall can give me would be great.
Thanks.

One of the BUS

The M35

And one of the ARO for good measure.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Looks like you got a decent value for your 400 bucks. And the bus is super-cool.

Here are some things that you may find useful regarding the deuce.

Despite what this fellow told you - and may well have believed, it is 99+ % sure that whatever bed is on it now was not installed by the military. Note that the bed mounts have been welded to the frame. Neither the military, nor any professional rebuilder, would weld a bed to the heat treated frame rails of the truck. A permanent weak point has been created by this.

The only two variants of the deuce to mount missiles carried the LaCrosse system - a very specialized bed that is neither useful nor convertable to any other use. These trucks were also powered by the Reo OA-331 gas engine, this truck has a Multifuel.

Whatever additional PTO's, overdrives or transfer cases that may have been installed were likely installed by whoever installed the current bed on the truck.

One huge question - should you repower the truck with the engine/transmission choice indicated above, what improvements do you plan to make to the 1949-designed single circuit hydraulic brake system that was designed to bring the truck to a stop from a 55 MPH top speed?

Enjoy your truck - these projects can be a BLAST - but be safe as well.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

BassnTruck

DDoyle said:
Looks like you got a decent value for your 400 bucks. And the bus is super-cool.

Here are some things that you may find useful regarding the deuce.

Despite what this fellow told you - and may well have believed, it is 99+ % sure that whatever bed is on it now was not installed by the military. Note that the bed mounts have been welded to the frame. Neither the military, nor any professional rebuilder, would weld a bed to the heat treated frame rails of the truck. A permanent weak point has been created by this.

The only two variants of the deuce to mount missiles carried the LaCrosse system - a very specialized bed that is neither useful nor convertable to any other use. These trucks were also powered by the Reo OA-331 gas engine, this truck has a Multifuel.

Whatever additional PTO's, overdrives or transfer cases that may have been installed were likely installed by whoever installed the current bed on the truck.

One huge question - should you repower the truck with the engine/transmission choice indicated above, what improvements do you plan to make to the 1949-designed single circuit hydraulic brake system that was designed to bring the truck to a stop from a 55 MPH top speed?

Enjoy your truck - these projects can be a BLAST - but be safe as well.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
You may be right about the the bed. Honestly I have no idea but he has had a number of these over years and seemed to know a bit about them. I will have to get closer and better shots of the bed. I know it has the MF in it. As for repowering and breaks I will convert it to disks. I want to have a older truck with some soul but with a moders drivetrain that will keep with with the stuff from today. As for my use I will need an extended or crew cab so I will have to do something about that. Might just be easier to add a small sleeper off a semi. I know I am in for some work when I ever get around to doing it. I never did get a good side shot. I will do that and get them up later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks