• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Island Road Trip (PICS)

No.2Diesel

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share some pics of some of the things seen and done over the past weekend that included the M35A2 and the M819. It was kind of a shakedown road-trip to see if anything mechanical would pop up before we head out to Rausch Creek NEXT WEEK. Overall mileage for the weekend was about 190-200, a little less than my distance to the Rally.

-----------------------------------------

Mechanical issues:

Deuce - Nothing at all (because I keep it so well maintained 8) )

Tractor, Wrecker - Before heading home it did develop a squeeky fan belt. We thought it was the water pump but just a belt. We have also observed that the power steering pump likes to up-chuck alot. I think we will make a "road-draft-tube" for it. Otherwise that Cummins sings. fat lady sings

Sat: Attended local airshow with Deuce (very unorganized and not well advertised) but still fun. I met some great guys from the LIMVC and joined up. Some pretty nice warbirds were present as well as a living Luftwaffe pilot (ME-109) who was sharing some of his experiences. The weather was already humid and cloudy and got steadily worse. Not much flying could be done. Still had lots of fun.

Sun: Attended our annual ATHS truck run. Twenty trucks of various makes and sizes displayed themselves in convoy to various stops around the South Fork. Quite a bunch of tired Deuces can still be seen lurking on many farms. Late in the afternoon we split from the group and headed further East to Montauk point for a little photo op in front of the last early warning radar left in the country. Then back into town for some dinner and finally headed home after dusk towards homebase.

enjoy the pics:

Attachments

Knucklehead

Nice pictures, thank you for posting them. I had a Studebaker Deuce with the LDS427, it had more power than any 465 powered truck that I have owned. I really wish that I kept that truck, it would hold 55 to 60 no matter how big the hills. Once you got to 5th gear you would just leave it there.

jasonjc

Nice pic's. I realy like the one you took of my boat :p
The radar still in use?? that would been neat in the back yard.

No.2Diesel

Your welcome.

No the last time that thing was spinning was when SAC bombers were patrolling 24/7 at the fail-safe point, so about 1968. Before that, the bases strategic location was used as a 16in. coastal gun battery. For observation and fire direction and control, a post was built out of reinforced concrete and mimiced a wooden beach cottage. You can't tell the difference!

Hey Knucklehead: What was the LDS-427s mechanical issues?

Attachments

Knucklehead

No.2Diesel, the big problem with the LDS427 was burning holes in the pistons. My Stude was a 1963 and it had around 50k miles on it when I got rid of it. I was told by a military mechanic to not lug or over rev the engine, so I was careful to keep it within limits. I put around 25k miles on it, and only made one repair. I had to replace the push rods, I had given it a shot of either on a very cold day and accidently hit the manifold heater switch with my knee when climbing in the cab. BOOM, twelve bent push rods. If I were to buy a 2.5T again I would not hesitate to buy a 427.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Not to correct you but in 1975 I was in the Coast Guard in New London and that radar was still emitting and turning. When we serviced any of the bouys on outer Long Island Sound our radios would all zap each time we were in the sweep of that radar. I still have to wonder if I got a lethal dose that will end my life a few years early.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks