• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct shackles

MAZ537

I never seen one with a full set of 4 mounted:)
I now have two trucks and guess what no shackles at all!
Some say you can use from a Deuce but these are not the correct ones as they are angled...
They are one of the most hard to find part of the CUCVs...

cucvrus

They are not hard to find. They are just a bit pricey. I have them if you need them. But I am not giving them away. Europe that can be tricky but it can be done. What part of Europe? Got any nice Cuckoo clocks?

cucvrus

I hammer roll pins in to keep them safe. Not 100% but 99 99/100% safe. I would hear that racket if they were hammering them out. Good advise on the tack weld. I do like the rattling when off road. Thru the high weeds it sounds like someone is hitting the front bumper with a hammer. I have a video of a 2 mile trip thru a field that the weeds are roof high in the M1009. Last week we went to check on a property that has been sitting idle for a few years and it really grew up. My M1009 looked like fur had grow on it from the Goldenrod and pollen I knocked loose. 3 big praying mantis and lots of bugs on the hood. We went in at night. The underside was spotless after words and the perfect time to check and clean and undercoat any problem areas I seen. The shackles all survived.

KansasBobcat

I hammer roll pins in to keep them safe. Not 100% but 99 99/100% safe. I would hear that racket if they were hammering them out. Good advise on the tack weld. I do like the rattling when off road. Thru the high weeds it sounds like someone is hitting the front bumper with a hammer. I have a video of a 2 mile trip thru a field that the weeds are roof high in the M1009. Last week we went to check on a property that has been sitting idle for a few years and it really grew up. My M1009 looked like fur had grow on it from the Goldenrod and pollen I knocked loose. 3 big praying mantis and lots of bugs on the hood. We went in at night. The underside was spotless after words and the perfect time to check and clean and undercoat any problem areas I seen. The shackles all survived.
Roll pins are a great idea! I will do that next time.

Assel

quick answer from another german CUCV: Spannhülse

when my M1009 is parked at work it is in line of sight, try stealing my shackles and you get a hit with the CAT crawler Loader or the 385C ...

MAZ537

What is the correct size for roll pins ? ( I will buy them before the shackles to have them well secured ) :beer:

KansasBobcat

What is the correct size for roll pins ? ( I will buy them before the shackles to have them well secured ) :beer:
Hole in pin is about .191 A 3/16x 1.5" seems to fit. CUCVRUS is the expert on this "field expedient" You can buy a selection at Fastenal here in the states. Always cheaper to buy a quantity. Only problem I see is they are hardened and a blow with a cold chisel will break them.

CUCVLOVER

This is what I did on mine. I know they are not the "correct" shackles but they are OK with me. Also 8.5 ton rated each, they where $50 US apiece but worth it, just tighten up with a large adjustable wrench and your good, you could put a lock im hole in the pin and some thieves would leave it because of the lock(lazy or stupid ones).
Also some correct color on them and they would look correct.

Just figured I'd throw that out there.

Attachments

welpro222

I did what cucvlover did above, Im happy with the results. I think I paid $17.99 a piece for mine.

Not to mention, use a big wrench to tighten and the average thief couldn't steel them, unless they have large pipe wrench with them.

CUCVLOVER

I did what cucvlover did above, Im happy with the results. I think I paid $17.99 a piece for mine.

Not to mention, use a big wrench to tighten and the average thief couldn't steel them, unless they have large pipe wrench with them.
17.99? How?

One this is I had to drill out the hole in the tubes, sorry don't remember how big.
I pulled them off the truck to drill them, to much trouble to fight with the hand drill.

Also while the tubes are off its a good time to inspect the mounts and tubes.
I also used lock washers and new nuts on the bolts.

Just my $0:02

welpro222

My local hardware store had the US made ones for $39.95 I believe and chinese made ones for $17.99. I know, im bad at buying chinese crap, but I only buy cheap if its a non-vital part. They were a direct fit.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The by-the-TM correct ones are as follows -

Front
Shackle - 19207 US Army/Fed Spec P/N 7358030 NSN 4030-00-088-1881 Replaced with 4030-01-316-2554
Pin - General Motors P/N 14067794 NSN 5315-01-160-4639
Cotter - Mil Std P/N MS24665-497 NSN 5315-00-013-7258

Rear
Shackle - General Motors P/N14067793 NSN 4030-00-542-3183
Pin - General Motors P/N14067794 NSN 5315-01-160-4639
Cotter - Mil Std P/N MS24665-497 NSN 5315-00-013-7258

This is for the pickups and blazers. I never realized the front and rear were different - Although there are likely different P/Ns that come back as nearly identical parts. The OEM one is a straight pin shackle held with a cotter pin. Parttarget.com lists the rear shackle part number as having a 56,550 lbs breaking strength so that should have a hefty safety margin for lifting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks