• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 - year of produced and date of delivery

poppep

Hi i'm new. I've just bought a M38A1 (the guy sold the truck said that). Date of delivery (on data plate) is Jan 1969. But I've read here M38A1 was produced 1952-1957. aua Could anyone tell me if there's something wrong?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I don't know if they were made as late as 1969, but the USMC did order up more M38A1 trucks in the 1960's. I have a 1964 M38A1 which was made on a USMC order. My understanding is that the Marine Corps didn't like the new M151 series MUTTs, so they ordered up new M38A1 trucks instead. So, maybe your truck is one of the late-production ones made for the USMC?

I suggest that you try asking over on G503.com, too. I think there are more jeep guys there than here.

Since you're new, I'm proud to be the first to show you our favorite smiley:

nopics

Here's a picture of my 1964 M38A1. More can be found at the link above.

Welcome to the forum!

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were a lot of CJ-5s that were purchased by the govt. and the military for use on post, just for running between offices, etc. Up until the early 1970s, most of these had military-style data plates put on them, just like the tactical vehicles. It's possible what you have is a 1969 CJ-5 that was used by the military for base transportation. Not as valuable as the M38A1, or as historically significant. However, the differences between the CJ-5 and M38A1 are very minor. And you won't feel to bad if you paint yours like a military M38A1, and then go off-roading in it and scrape it up.

wesk

It could also be an M606A2 or M606A3. The military at one point or another managed to use every jeep product built during the 1945 thru 1971 period except the jeepster. The M606 series were primarily shipped to foreign governments or the Army purchased them for military aid to foreign governments. Some did find their way into US military service. These were produced from about 1960 thru 1961. The last of the US M38A1's are dated 1968 but Canadian M38A1 CDN2 and CDN3's were produced thru 1971. Email me a digital photo of your serial plates on the dash and on the right front end of the right rear wheelhouse.

You can visit our Willys Post WWII M series web site for more data:
www.willysmjeeps.com

wsknettl@centurytel.net

Attachments

halftrack

I just noticed that your in Nam! They (the government) allow you to have U.S. stars on vehicles? What happened to all that good U.S. surplus of equipment we gave the south? Any of it still laying around?

poppep

halftrack said:
They (the government) allow you to have U.S. stars on vehicles? What happened to all that good U.S. surplus of equipment we gave the south? Any of it still laying around?
:D It's a painted star, not a soldier w guns. How could it be a problem?
I found jeep is a nice looking and tough truck, and easy to have one in quite good condition here. US star is cool too :wink: think so.

halftrack

poppep said:
:D It's a painted star, not a soldier w guns. How could it be a problem?
I found jeep is a nice looking and tough truck, and easy to have one in quite good condition here. US star is cool too :wink: think so.
I love it when common sense prevails. We need more of that here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks