• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stencil size

KaiserM109

Does anyone know where to find the spec's on painting the stars, letters, etc? I know that they used to exist because I had to help paint some trucks in '68.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: stencil size

KaiserM109 said:
Does anyone know where to find the spec's on painting the stars, letters, etc? I know that they used to exist because I had to help paint some trucks in '68.

Is this what you are looking for?
TB 746-93-1
1964-1976 Color and Marking of Military Vehicles, Construction Equipment, and Materials Handling Equipment

It is located in the tech manuals section here:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=216

TB 43-0147
COLOR, MARKING AND CAMOUFLAGE PATTERNS USED ON MILITARY EQUIPMENT (4-color MERDC Dec. 1975)
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=43

TB 43-0209
COLOR, MARKING, AND CAMOUFLAGE PAINTING OF MILITARY VEHICLES, CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS HANDLING EQUIPMENT
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=7

KaiserM109

RE: Re: RE: stencil size

That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

When our equipment was shipped to Vietnam in ’67 it was marked as per your first reference. In about July of ’68 we were instructed to repaint all of our equipment according to your second reference and they were really serious about getting it correct. The idea was that the enemy could not identify individual vehicles and develop intel’ on a specific vehicle or unit’s activities.

I purchased an M109 this summer and I am trying to decide how to repaint it. Our battalion in Vietnam had an M109 but I can’t remember its bumper numbers. I have pretty much exhausted my photos. They would have been 9-15E on the left and HQ-XXX on the right. I have no idea what its serial number would have been.

To give it more of an historical perspective, I have been thinking about its early markings with white stars using its real serial number and picking a number for the right side. You see so much equipment now days in camo, including Toyotas and Nisans, that I don’t want to be thrown in with them. My particular M109 served in Iraq for a year as an instrument repair van, but was never painted tan.

jasonjc

Not shure how to help you on that. But I know how it was 20+yrs later when I was in D co 227AVN REGT 1st CAV. Frist Team!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks