• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overheating Wheel Hubs???

ems4ty

Okay, I finally got the deuce all back together and am getting prepared for this weekends convoy to Stoddard Valley. I took the truck to the car show this evening for kicks... Was late, but did have a chance to talk to a few people. Anyways, I drive back to my office to park the truck overnight and thought about checking the temp of the rear axle hubs to see if they are overheating or if they are all within the same temp range or so. Here's what I found:

Approx. 9 Miles from car show to my office
63 Degrees Outside Air Temp
83 Degrees Drivers Front/Rear Axle
95 Degrees Drivers Rear/Rear Axle
94 Degrees Passengers Front/Rear Axle
109 Degrees Passengers Rear/Rear Axle

Seems like I have a bit of a problem with the Pass. Rear. but have no Idea what to expect as a normal operating temperature range. Anyone have any ideas?

PS. I just replaced the rear Brakes, Wheel Cylinders, Repacked the Bearings, Installed New Inner and Outer Seals, Permatexed the Cork Gasket and OuterSeal to prevent leaks.

Thanks! I've got 2 days to fix it before the long haul to Stoddard Valley...

acetomatoco

40 degrees above ambient is not much..They will ordinarily be warm to the touch after a run. Did you set heel and toe of rear brakes with the feeler gauge , 4 adjustments per wheel etc. Loads of new stuff in there to wear in..jack up and spin the rears by hand and feel for drag variations.... If you have a sprag front... beware windup.

cbvet

Repeating my post from a couple of months ago, I really don't think you have a problem. I've put on more miles since & everything's okay.
Eric

Just some info:
We recently made a 100 mile trip in our 2 Deuces. Ambient temp about 72 degrees. Traveling at 45 mph with few stops.
Immediately on arriving, I checked temperatures on all 12 hubs with an infra-red thermometer. They ran from 85 to 101 degrees.
Eric
CBVET

ems4ty

Alrighty... Thanks for the replies. I was curious to find out a ballpark to what would be a normal operating temp (Such as 40 over ambient, etc...) I'll jack up the duece today or tomorrow and recheck for drag since I just replaced the rear brakes with new. Will probably drive it around a few miles first, the check them to see if after the parts warm up to temp if I have a drag issue. When I originally reinstalled the brakes, I adjusted them as per the TM with the feeler guage, but then quickly changed over to just eyeballing it because doing it with the feeler guage was a bit difficult.

Thanks again for the info...

Sarge

Deuce brakes- no problem!

I wish that my brakes ran as cool as yours!
Seriously, it sounds like you do not have a brake problem.
Back in the day (ahhhh... memories) when we would convoy all over creation, it was standard procedure for the entire convoy to stop after the first 10 to 20 miles to do a "Hot Brake Check". We did not own a single infra-red phaser or anything like that. But we all had hands. You touched the drum carefully, if the skin didn't peel off within three seconds, you were good to go. Just a wild guess, but I think it takes at least a couple of hundred degrees to burn skin. You are running half that temperature.
The guys who told you that 40 over ambient is correct are a lot more technical than me, but they sound right on the money.
It is great that you worry about your safety (and others) but this time, you do not have a problem.
Happy Veteran's Day!
-Sarge

ems4ty

RE: Deuce brakes- no problem!

Right on Sarge! I just pulled the truck into the shop and am taking a look at the one "Hot" axle. (Hot as compared to the other 3) Anyways, there was no drag on the brake linings against the drums, and no play in the wheel bearings, drum rotates smooth with no bindings. So far, so good. I removed the axle nuts, and outer seal (I originally Permatexed them heavily to prevent gear oil saturation of the bearings). Bearings showed no signs of overheating/blueing and were completly free of gear oil.

So, I'm gonna throw a small handful of GAA into the hub and reassemble. Guess there's nothing wrong. Never thought to check the temps before until now.

Thanks again and have a fantastic Holiday!

ygmir

RE: Deuce brakes- no problem!

All my old trucker buddies checked tire temperature that way, with hands........
you can hold on 160 deg, but, it's pretty warm. 180, can't leave your hand there very long, 200 hurts......
Of course, depends on your hands, callouses, and, if your single..........
Henry

sailor2000

Temperature Max duration until injury
155F (68.3C) 1 second
145F (62.9C) 3 seconds
135F (57.2C) 10 seconds
130F (54.4C) 30 seconds
125F (51.6C) 2 minutes
120F (48.8C) 5 minutes

If you can lay your hand on it and hold it there without pain starting to develop, it is probably 110F or less.

ygmir

yeah, the temp would hold, but, the rate of conduction is all important in that use..........
It's just a rule of thumb. But, dry hands and dry hubs, maybe some callouses, and, I think it's pretty accurate, really. IMHO, of course.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks