• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wagner Power Sprayer for truck painting

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone ever use a Wagner Power Sprayer HVLP gun for spraying paint on a car/truck? Just curious, they're having a sale near me on them, wonder if anyone has ever used a house paint spray gun on a vehicle with good results.

I worked at a sign shop in Seattle for the 2 years I lived there. The owner bought one of them cheaper Wagner Power Sprayers to coat out 4X8 sign blanks instead of having to roll them. I remember it sounding like a nasty buzzer that made more noise than a fan pattern. It didi not seem to have the beans to break up the paint and more or less just spit it on the substrate. I only used it for about an hour and put it under the workbench and never returned to it. Maybe they have changed a little since 1995. I guess I was used to using a regular HVLP spray gun on a 15cfm/100 gal compressor.

If you have a compressor you can get a real good HVLP gun here:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90977

A regular airless (commercial type for houses) works pretty good since your not spraying metallics. If you want to paint one in a hurry you could rent an airless at the rental yard and paint a whole truck in about 1/2 hour.
Masking everything off will take about 2 days though. :lol:

JDToumanian

Does the Wagner call itself an "HVLP" sprayer? I thought it had to be air powered to fit into the HVLP category... all the Wagners I've seen have some kind of motorized atomizer, and I've never met anyone who was satisfied with their performance.

Harbor Freight has HVLP spray guns on sale for $17.99 right now... Do you have an air compressor? ...That's the way to go.

Jon

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, Jon, this model I saw in Lowes had the term HVLP on the box, big letters. I wouldn't have even posted the thread if those letters weren't on the box.

Yes, I have a compressor. But I don't give Harbor Freight my money. They sell cheap Chinese made garbage, IMHO, and I'd rather support others than that shady outfit.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a wagner and gave it away. I'd buy a good cheap northern tool or advance auto HVLP gun since you are not doing this for a living. Should be around 50$ and will work excellent for your use.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
I used one to paint a car hauler trailer I have. I obtained some "Caterpillar Yellow" and shot it with the wagner. I ended up using twice the paint I would have with a cheapie paint gun. Lot's of splater. I cleaned it up and threw it in back in a storage box. It's yours for the shipping.
But the cheapie from Northern or Harbor frieght.

Jimmy

Everybody has an opinion and here is mine. You can never spend to much money on quality tools, if you buy the best and take care of it they will last a lifetime and you will do better work in the process and spend less time doing it.

That being said, spend the money and get a quality paint gun, you will be happier and your truck will thank you. If you have a tool truck that comes around your location most of them sell on credit for around $20.00 a week if you don't want to spring for one all at one time.

The wagner is great for Stain... crappy for paint........ especially the thicker ones......... get a good "airbrush" type gravity feed spray gun!!

emr

Even Home Cheapo has good inexpensive spray guns, Gravity , siphon, and pressure types, i found those three types there when i went a few weeks ago to paint the 900, i went with the Siphon, most common that i have seen around that guys have had I know, the gravity is a top of gun bottle, i dont see how one could crawl under and over a bunch of axles and still spray, i have noticed the siphon i bought always leaves alittle in the bottom unless shaken alot, so im going to buy the Pressure gun next its also about 50 bucks ,cheap i think for a spray gun, I would think the pressure gun will give better performance in the situations one would get into crawling around a MV, ?the siphon and pressure look the same as any paint gun, Painting is very easy, I do know that a water separater is a must, and will take the most water out of the line when placed as far away from the tank as possible, i run a hose out 25ft, hang it on a horse and they also have the pressure regulator on em so u dont need to mess with the compressor, then run the paint line from there, i also have found that Alan the paint Man in southern NJ is very very helpful and nice to deal with, and i prefer Arvoe paints too, so those were the choices i found and what i have learned and am trying to learn, Hoping any 2 cents can help, Randy

butch atkins

pray painting

go to northern tool buy the spray gun that is seperated from the cup with 5 ft of hose,you dont have to awave around a qt of paint in one hand when you are painting,and you can get in and around really tight spots to spray because you dont have the cup on the gun,youhang the cup by its hook on whatever is handy,you can lay on your back with gun pointed up and not have to worry about running out of paint,90.00 is thecost and it is well worth it,when you get your project tasped up and ready to paint,premix yourpaint/primer /thinner in clean coffe cans,all you do when cup runs out is take the lid offpour mix thru strainer and your spraying paint in no time ,when you are painting a large area,this will really save time,put the lids on the premix cans,and never mix up more than you think you will use,ALWAYS WEAR A RESPIRATOR ,OR CHEAP PAINT MASK WHEN SPRAYING,YOUR BRAIN WILL THANK YOU FOR THIS,have used same sprayer for 10 yrs ,am painting m211 for 2nd time as we speak,be safe and enjoy ,just my 2c worth,good luck on all your projects

chuck500cc

Spayers??

My brother-in-law used one of the "pro" painting kits with the high preasure hose and nozzle and the thing was bad a$$. We painted the BUG out Palace in about a day and half. It was not one of the cheap spit sprayers. This thing was $190. I would by another one and I would use it to paint a truck. This one is over priced. Home Dumpo has them for about $190-200.

One of these...http://www.gleempaint.com/paint-crew-770-recon.html

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: pray painting

Butch, you finally going to show us some pics of your ride after you paint it? :D

cbvet

RE: pray painting

Some of you guys will buy from Northern, but not Harbor Freight. It's the same stuff!
Well, a lot of it is.
Anyway, I used the $40 HVLP setup, with the separate paint tank, from Harbor.
Worked fine with very slightly thinned Marine Corps Green from Aervoe.
I've gotten a lot of compliments on the paint job, including some from Custom Car Show participants.
Ever heard the expression "It's a poor workman, that blames his tools."?
Eric
CBVET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks