• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Recovery...

mangus580

Some of you already know.... I lost the transfer-case in the M1009 this week. It got really bad friday morning, on my way to work. Wouldnt even stay in gear hardly anymore, and it was all I could do to get it to work.

So..... Today me & the 19 month old took the deuce to go tow it home. I had to finally fix an issue on my plow frame. Due to using different size tubing for how it slid onto the shackle mounts, it had alot of slop up & down. Oddly enough, I had an idea on how to fix it finally during the transfer case dilemma. I drilled a hole up from the bottom on each piece of tubing, and welded a nut there. now I have a bolt that I can tighten up, and takes all the slack out, holding the plow frame in place better.

This was important, as the towbar attaches to it. I didnt want the slop in the frame while I was towing it. I also had to round the corners some on the plow frame, to allow clearence for the towbar feet.

Oh yeah, also had an 'incident' with the hood on the way there. It seems my hooks failed, that hold it down. Looks like when I repaint the deuce finally.... I will be needeing a new hood...

See the pics....

Attachments

acetomatoco

Great job of pix... You must have put the safety chain and the lights on after the pix were taken... Nice babysitting job too, and arctic pattern seat covers, three.

mangus580

Re: RE: M1009 Recovery...

acetomatoco said:
Great job of pix... You must have put the safety chain and the lights on after the pix were taken... Nice babysitting job too, and arctic pattern seat covers, three.
Actually, it was a pretty short trip... maybe 5 miles. I didnt mess with either. I am not sure where I would have hooked a safety chain on the 1009 anyway. And, I ran the convoy lights, as well as the flashers on the lightbar of the 1009, plus the 4 ways on the 1009.

Boatcarpenter

RE: Re: RE: M1009 Recovery...

OK Mike, going into Cranetruck mode here. I want to see pics of the failed parts, where is the weak link and what to check out on my Deuce :D

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: M1009 Recovery...

I assume you are talking about for the hood latches?

It seems the springs inside the hooks may fail over time. Mine have never held with much force, and it seems they finally failed. My safety catch is als defunct. I suppose I need to figure out what is up with that.

mangus580

Re: RE: Re: RE: M1009 Recovery...

Mike_Pop said:
Great pictures Mike! What size tow bar is that on the M1009?

I call it the 'Light Medium' From what I can tell its a Medium, but its ligher, and a smaller diameter than most mediums. Not a small though from what I can tell...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks