• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery trip in progress

98hd

I'm all staged up for my recovery trip tomorrow. Heading to Ft. McCoy to get my M35A2C, drive it south towards my sisters house to a spot I found for storage.

Then it's off to GSA near Madison, Wi to get my m818. HOPEFULLY, after doing alot of checks and making sure everything is good, will be driving it home about 250 miles. Hopefully I won't freeze my but off as the truck doesn't have a heater!

Wish me luck and I will try and take as many pics as I can and post them up when I get back. :D

98hd

Part 1 (The pleasent part of the trip):

Left my sisters house at 6:15, arrived at DRMO sparta around 7:45. Got all signed in, mike (nice guy) took me to my truck, after a little coercing with the preheater switch it fired up. I had already gone to look at the truck so I knew the brakes and everything worked. Started driving for the gate at the DRMO lot, noticed it was SLOW, looked and it was in low range, easy fix.

Got it outside the gate, finished the paperwork, called the ins. co. checked everything over and let it warm up. Drove it about 60 miles on back roads, drove well, although P/S would be REALLY nice. Rode very nicely too. A little more than an hour later arrived at the place I arranged to park it at. Went and put some fuel in it quick, went back and parked it, locked the power switch off, and drove my brother in law back to his house to drop him off. Then started towards part 2 of the trip.

Things I noticed. I got alot of looks, not all old ladies are afraid to cross the street infront of a big truck! (had to slow down for her to cross). Manual steering isn't very enjoyable. The truck could definetally use more power, going up hills at 35-40 isn't real fun. Heater, while very nice, could blow a little hotter and stronger for my liking. Be careful passing amish horse and buggies, the horses don't like the noise too much :shock:

Here is the deuce while warming it up, still hadn't cleaned off all the snow on the front yet, and another of the dash while driving.

Attachments

98hd

Part 2: (really long)

I get to GSA in waunakee, get taken out to the truck (they were nice enough to get this thing running for me and said it drove in the yard, and had brakes. I brought them a dozen very good donuts for doing that for me.

Get out to the truck with my car, and start swapping in my new batteries (got four group 65's at 1000CA from napa, very pleased with them). Finished installing them, checked the fluids and with help from the glow plug got it fired up in no time. Let it warm up a bit as I checked things over, then checked to see if was driving ok and the brakes did work. After that I started putting all the stuff I needed to bring with into the cab and toolboxes. Parked the car out in the parking lot, finished the paperwork.

Started movin the truck, and noticed this one was in low range also, shifted to high and started out of the lot. Had to squeeze between the building and a semi loading 2 M817's on it, almost through at the truck isn't moving. Looked down and the t-case had popped out of high, not real happy. Put it back in and get out in the lot, and bungie the handle in high, just in case.

Start going down the road, do a few brake checks, get up to 4th gear and hear a bad noise, let off and goes away, does the same thing a few times. Stopped in a parking lot to look for anything obvious, nothing. Start going again, same thing, put my hand on the t-case lever and go again, and I feel the lever pulling on the bungie as it starts to slip out of gear. Put a cinch strap on it, all good, hope it holds till home. Get up to speed in 5th, and notice when getting back on the throttle in 5th, the gear lever moves forward a few inches very violently, and when I back off it moves back. If I get on and off the throttle heavily it will pop out of gear. Going to try getting home anyway!

Get out on the freeway and my first thought is something is wrong with the suspension/tires as it is bucking really bad. Then go over a nice smooth bridge and it's smooth as can be, for a split second, then back to bucking. Determine it is just a bouncy truck on the freeways, keep going.

About 80 miles into the trip, the fuel gauge is down to 1/4 and the switch on the dash is on the Left tank. Stop and fill up the left tank. Keep on truckin' about 50 more miles on the freeway in heavy traffic, the truck starts loosing power and speed, then it comes back, then away, then back, then away. I now have to shift to 4th and it goes down and down from there. I have to pull over and it dies. I didn't pull off very far, and have to move the truck over a little with the starter to be somewhat safe. I'm thinking it is maybe the fuel filter.

Start to change the filter and someone on the access road alongside the highway leaving work is nice enough to stay there with their lights on to help me see. Get it changed and can't get it started, can hear my batteries are starting to weaken. Give up, hop the fence and ask this nice person who I could call. She takes me inside her work and we get to work calling and find a mobile truck repair place open late (it's about 6pm now) and they are coming out to help. I was very lucky this lady stayed and helped as I have a pay by the minute phone and did not have enough money to make any calls, and since I was roaming it wouldn't connect me to the over the phone payment. So I did that on her company phone before I went back to wait.

I thank the lady for her help, and hop the highway fence. I try to start one more time and then there are 2 cop cars behind me lights on. Asking me what is going on and such, explain someone is coming to help and he says OK. Takes my name cell number, gives me his, and a tag so no one would mess with it if I don't get it going.

I wait for what seems like forever and the guy shows up in a pickup truck, Hmm. He gets out starts asking some questions, and poking around. It then dawns on me that maybe the right tank is being drawn from and I didn't check it for fuel, but the lever on the dash is on the left tank, maybe it is wrong. Check the right tank..........bone dry. He fills the fuel filter to prime it, primes the pump by taking off a plug on top, and we pour the rest into the right tank. I turn it over, he shoots some ether and it starts, rough, and dies. I get in again turn it over and give it some throttle, it fires, and is rough but is running. I pull the hand throttle out and it is smoothing out. Check for leaks, put everything away and he follows me to the next fuel station, where I fill up. Drive it over to their shop, and inside to warm it up a little, while he bills me out, everything seems fine now.

I start the rest of the trip and make it back fine, my back hurting from the bucking roads and very tired and half of me cold.

This moring went out and looked around, and noticed there is ANOTHER lever on the floor to switch the tanks, which is on the right tank, DOH! The weird the dash lever was on the left, and I watched the gauge go down, and back to 3/4 when I filled up. Not sure why it went down before.

So I need to fix whatever is wrong with the trans and t-case, and I put up some photos of the really bad gaps around the windows and hard top, if anyone knows how to fix this it would be helpful.

Also, is a picture of my "heater", which kept my left side somewhat warm, and my right side toasty.

So my 250 mile drive took about 7-1/2 hours.

Ok, done blabbing, here are the pics.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will also add that the fuel tank selector lever can be a bit finnicky. Make sure you know the truck before you start switching the level back and forth. You might start sucking air and then you are done until you replace the level. This is common if a truck has been sitting for a long time...or so has been my experience and it coincides with what I've been told by John Winslow who has had more 5 tons than probably anyone on this list.

A note on the fuel gauges...I don't trust any of them until I watch them for a while. I've found that more often than not they are not accurate. I've run out of fuel more than once with a gauge that said 1/4 full.

maxim

The NDT tires can get flat sided sitting a while so that could be the source of your bouncing, especially with a tractor where there is not much wieght to bring up the tires to a temperature where they will round out. You will find the tractor rides a bit more 'bouncy' with out a load on it. I see there is a conventional treaded tire in the spare rack. Been to Escanaba and through Northern Wisconsin in the winter, it is chiily ya eh?
Glad ya made it home ok and congratulations on the recoveries.

98hd

greybird said:
Nice Truck, I didn't know that there were any members in the UP. I get to L'anse every once in a while...Usually through Sawyer. I'll try to look you up next trip
May not be here, I'm moving to Wisconsin next month.

As far as the tires, It has the goodyear G286's, not the NDT's.

Hmm, I wonder how I can put some weight on the back of this thing, w/o buying a trailer.........yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks