• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scored a MEP-002A Genset.

OD_Coyote

I found a MEP-002a with a Onan diesel with only 800 hours on the clock.
It runs real nice, but I want to get the TMs for it so can learn how to operate it properly and perform all the PMs. Does anyone know where I can get the TMs for this beastie?

Thanks,
Chris

OD_Coyote

Thanks Bill W.
I figured someone was gonna throw out the dreaded "TTIWWP" emoticon.
Armada - The genset is still in the back of my truck, but when I unload it tomorrow I will post some pics.

OD_Coyote

Thanks Ferro!
OPCOM - Thanks....She is a 2 lunger! :D :D
Armada - I fired her up yesterday before I loaded her up to bring home and she runs real nice. Hooked up a few elcectrial appliances as well to make sure she was putting out some juice. I want to do a complete PM before I run her again.

Question - The TM states you need to ground the unit with a rod driven 8' into the ground or a metal plate buried 4' foot under the ground. What do you guys do for a ground on your gensets?

Thanks,
Chris

isaiah

How loud are these?

sorry for bringing up the good ol past...looking at one of these but want to know how loud these things are, maybe an example ...,freight train,honda car motor, etc?and I notice this has no cover to it , I have seen some with covers. Are the PM parts readily available? Thanks in advance!

papercu

ground

What do you guys do for a ground on your gensets?
Do not run it without a ground.
A lot will depend on the type soil you have. At the very minimum use the same as the electric company specified for your electric service.
Ground rod are at the electric supply house. Wayne

isaiah

Re: ground

papercu said:
What do you guys do for a ground on your gensets?
Do not run it without a ground.
A lot will depend on the type soil you have. At the very minimum use the same as the electric company specified for your electric service.
Ground rod are at the electric supply house. Wayne

thats like an 8 foot solid copper rod driven to the ground here...safety is much concern for these generators, maybe that's why the military gets rid of them.

isaiah

Re: How loud are these?

isaiah said:
sorry for bringing up the good ol past...looking at one of these but want to know how loud these things are, maybe an example ...,freight train,honda car motor, etc?and I notice this has no cover to it , I have seen some with covers. Are the PM parts readily available? Thanks in advance!
Oh yeah how loud are these? :?:

LanceRobson

RE: Re: How loud are these?

They're screamers.

High RPM, air cooled diesel, un-ducted fan and no sound house=hammering loud.

Noise is why they're being retired to make room for the "tactical quiet" sets. They're still very capable sets.

If it's going to see a lot of use, consider making up a couple of sheets of plywood with an inch of foam insulation glued to them. Put them as close to the gen set as you can without blocking any airflow and cant them with the upper long edge away from the set and towards you. That will help deflect the noise up and away from you. For a "dumb as a rock" fix it works well. Without the insulation, plain plywood is better than nothing.

If it's going to run a lot indoors, consider some other option like it's own well ventilated room. If you need specific ideas for dampening sound or vibration, PM me. I'll send you some drawings for sound dampening wall construction.

We used to run these around the clock with a 2 minute break every 12 hours to check the oil. If you keep the air filter clean, fuel clean and keep up with the oil changes it'll last a long time.

Onan is pretty proud of their parts, price-wise, but everything is available. Three years ago, before I retired, Owl and Saturn used to stock parts. I'd guess they still do.

The generator does not like to be run a long time with little or no load or with an unbalanced load (a lot of power drawn from one leg, little of none from another). If all we were running was computers, we used to plug in a couple of AC units or electric heater on each phase (3 phase) or each leg (240,V, single phase) to keep them from breaking down.

Whether you stick it on a trailer or use it stationary, the Aux Fuel pump will pump from a remote source that's not too much higher than the pump. (Think 55 gal. barrel, deuce or 5 ton tank or 5 gallon jerry can) Real ahndy for long term operation.

Enjoy the new addition to your family.

Lance

LanceRobson

I don't remember. Most of our 5kW and 10kW sets were mounted in either M101 or M105 trailers with a deuce tank and we weren't paying for the diesel.

The TM should have fuel consumption data at various loads. They're usually pretty accurate. I'll be out in the shop in the AM and will look to see if I've got a paper copy but the digital one on the TMs section should have it, too.

As a SWAG, I'd guess it to be two thirds to three quarters of a gallon an hour. That might even be a high estimate.

The cover will help quite a bit but you're sitil not going to stand next to it all day.

We used to put them as far away as practicable and turn the voltage up at the panel to get the target voltage out at the other end of the extension cords.

We also made up 10 ga. extension cords (there easy to but commercially now).

Another other thing we used to do was open the front and rear curtains on the trailers and park them perpendicular to the line back to us. That let the set breath but more of the noise went out the ends and the curtain helped dampen the noise coming to us.

Lance

Bill W

My first 003a did not have a sound kit and as mentioned LOUD. My current 003a has a sound kit and what a difference, you can have a normal conversation standing next to it while its running

Attachments

isaiah

UH OH

Won 2 of these gensets today,one with cover and one without. There's one in the previous pic. Thanks to your helpful posts. now I'll be ready for the next Hurricane,earthquake or blackout. They were quite expensive about lil over $500 apiece,There's nothing like a little bidding war, I would like to meet that other person and sell 'em the other one,maybe he'll see this post....just hope they both work.
GOD BLESS AMERICA! :D

Attachments

peyton

Re: UH OH

isaiah said:
Won 2 of these gensets today,one with cover and one without. There's one in the previous pic. Thanks to your helpful posts. now I'll be ready for the next Hurricane,earthquake or blackout. They were quite expensive about lil over $500 apiece,There's nothing like a little bidding war, I would like to meet that other person and sell 'em the other one,maybe he'll see this post....just hope they both work.
GOD BLESS AMERICA! :D
Unless they've been scavenged, I'll bet they will start right up. Good catch *and* good price. Check the oil. If clear, it was probably prepped for storage and is in pretty good shape. Man, I wish I had the sound enclosure for my mep0003a.

Peyton

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks