• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pioneer tool rack

86M10086.2L

I am interested in putting a HMMWV pioneer tool rack on my M1008 but before I do I was wondering if someone could tell me what tools are supposed to be with the rack. I see the racks for sale fairly often so thats not an issue. but I never see the tools. Whats supposed to be there? A Shovel, Axe, Pick Axe, and Sledgehammer? Are they the same tools used on the other military vehicle tool racks? are there any suppliers who have the tools for sale or info to match up commercialy available tools? Any help/info would be grealty appreciated.

FrankUSMC

Whats wrong with the tool rack that is on the truck? other than it was a pain to get to some times with gear piled up in the cab.
One of the few, Frank USMC Ret.

TedG

Standard pioneer tools: shovel, axe and pick. It mounts under the rear frame for the standard hmmwv.

Regards,

acetomatoco

Never have I seen a pioneer tool rack in a M1008. However, I did bolt one to the inside of the front panel of the pickup box one time...and the #2 D handled spade point shovel, and the 4 lb single blade axe with handle and the pick mattock with handle fit just fine with the three straps.

FrankUSMC

We had a pioneer rack mounted behind the seat in our trucks in the Marines, I was thinking that all the trucks had them there.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: pioneer tool rack

FrankUSMC said:
We had a pioneer rack mounted behind the seat in our trucks in the Marines, I was thinking that all the trucks had them there.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.
Mine is a USMC truck and has the tool rack, even came with the axe in it. I can take a pic and post it.

86M10086.2L

RE: Re: RE: pioneer tool rack

mine doesn't have a rack, had no idea they even had one. never seen one for sale for them. I just noticed that the hummer and M715 variety seemd to be the most common, so... they seemed the most likely to retro fit. Medlog I never got a PM from you.

67Beast

Re: RE: Re: RE: pioneer tool rack

86M10086.2L said:
mine doesn't have a rack, had no idea they even had one. never seen one for sale for them. I just noticed that the hummer and M715 variety seemd to be the most common, so... they seemed the most likely to retro fit. Medlog I never got a PM from you.
Just for info, but M715's don't have a pioneer tool rack because the mounts are built into the bed sides. Shovel on the pas. side and axe and maddox on the drivers side.

Lex_Ordo

I wouldn't use the HMMWV rack, as it is designed to fold up and down underneath the truck, like some of those spare tire arrangements on modern SUV types.

You are better off using the standard M37/ Duece rack that is a solid one piece rack. It holds all the tools securely, and can be mounted several different ways.

As for the tools...
The pick Mattock was made by a few different manufacturers. the two I have are made by Woodings Verona Tool, I have attached a pic.

And check out this thread.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/44465-m35-pioneer-rack.html

Attachments

tgtaylor64

Seems like you could attach the HMMWV rack to the front brush guard. Weld a hinge right below the lower bar above the tag star. Then weld two small clips for the unit to attach to on the upper. That way, it would securely hold the tools and still swing downward for access. I have included a few 'concept' photos for comments.

Attachments

quickfarms

On my old truck I had one mounted on the front edge of the bed, but this could be an issue if you carried a lot of cargo. In My personal vehicle I have a Max-axe behing the seat, it is kind of a compramise tool but it does not take up a lot of space for the accosional use.

If you need to use these tools a lot hen you need one of those unimogs with the bucket and excavator on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks