• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pyrometer pre or after turbo?

Warren Lovell

Does anyone have a detailed description of how they installed their pyrometer? I haven't received mine, (Autometer 2654), and was wondering what the difference was between pre - turbo and after the turbo.

Thanks,

Warren

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I installed my autometer pyrometer pre turbo just before the turbo on the rear bank. It took about an hour and was fairly easy. I unbolted the turbo on the exhaust side and loosened the hose clamp from the compressor side as well as the oil drain and oil supply line just enough so I got about a 3/4" gap between the exhaust manifold and turbo. I then placed a cut out piece of sheet metal over the exhaust inlet of the turbo to catch the debris from falling into the turbo while drilling and tapping the hole. After drilling and tapping the hole I used a shopvac to suck up the debris from the piece of sheet metal then bolted it all back together. It should be noted that I also dont have my stock air filter canister bolted to the fire wall so that might be in the way a little. I drilled the hole centered where the #4 cylinder comes out, its where the rear exhaust bank makes the 90 degree turn down into the turbo. Hope that helps you a little. The pyrometer I got is model 2654 and came with the sending unit. You'll need a 11/32 drill bit for drilling the hole and a 1/8-27 tap. good luck

Dieselsmoke

Definitely pre turbo. Your not as worried about the temperature of the turbo as you are cylinder temperatures. The turbo will take a lot more heat than the pistons will.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you will find approximately 150 degrees reading difference checking temp post-turbo. I have done it that way, I agree it is not the best way, but several guys have had horror stories of the probe end breaking off and destroying the turbo drive end vanes when it was before the turbo.

Westech

CPL
I have mine after the turbo and I run that sucker right up to a 1000* with no problems. Now I dont hold it there all day but I do run it that high. I put mine in after because it was ez. Did not have to take off the turbo, and what if that tip brakes off or you miss a slice of steel from driling and it trys to pass the impeller blades?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have the solid cast iron 1 piece manafold, use the plug at the front of the engine. By #1 cylinder. It's facing the grill and a 3/8 ratchet takes out. If it's not stuck!

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Theres also 1 of those plugs at the back but unfortunately for me they were both extremely stuck. Its a simple bolt in if you can get those plugs out, no drilling or tapping.

Dieselsmoke

Heat the area with a torch until it's orange then put a candle against the hot surface, the wax will penetrate into the threads and it will come right out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks