• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 at -17F

majortom

Just gave an old doge a major winter test 500+ miles at night ambient temp at -17 or lower wind chill god only knows by blocking the radiator halfway off with cardboard the old girl was quite comfy but weird things happen at that temperature the speedometer needle would not return to zero after going down the interstate for a period of time the alternator would pulsate from maximum charge to low charge this is really weird considering it has a solid state voltage regulator, the metal seems to get brittle as the truck developed numerous creaks and banging noises and the tires never did warm up choke would try to come on after long highway runs but would release upon slowing down, all and all it did work but it probably wasn't the smartest thing to be blasting across the frozen north in the middle of the night. quite an adventure

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
-20 F is actually a good temperature for equipment operation. The snow/ice /hardpack provides good traction (the warmer, the more slippery), without the more sever problems, extreme cold presents. What you describe about your speedo, is typical. The lube resideau in the cable & instrument gets gummy, & or there is moisture residing there, that hasn't been displaced. Automatic chokes were often replaced with the winter reliable manual ones.

"Wind Chill" will remove heat, as if its colder, but actual temperatures on components are the same as ambient temperatures.

A concern with tires, especially old tires, is the inflation pressure. In those colder temps, if higher pressures are not used to compensate for the cold (pressure decreases with cold), the tires ( & tubes), flex more then they should, & failures can occur. When parking, be aware that the heat from running and braking, can cause melt, that freezes between the brake shoes and the drum - when you take off again the towed wheel will slide & wear a flat spot. In air systems, ice forms and can cause failures in valves or plug lines. The cold will & can cause tricks to happen with the tires valve core, creating a slow leaks. Kick your duals more often & learn what a frozen tire sounds like.

Everything seems to be stiffer in the cold, which increases the pounding on the roadway, and fatigue happens, especially to wheels, springs & suspension parts. Shocks take a real beating!

Always, always, take your winter survival gear. Besides the normal tool kit, I always have a 20# propane cylinder & weed burner, for an external source of heat, to thaw something. Also the full set of "jewelery" (tire chains - three railers for the duals), & the perverbial shovel.

Lee in Alaska

majortom

i agree with you it is life threatening at 20 below. i dont know about up there, but northern wis. has some cell service. add a phone to the list. i have a weed burner, but a compact propane torch will light frozen trees just fine. check the post on 5 ton and up- m123 artic test.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Tom

In the "North", we're above tree line. I always joke that the Propane Torch is to light your spare tire on fire to get warm. There are some communications on the Pipe Line Haul Road around the Pump Stations, otherwise, you on your own here!

Lee In Alaska

N1265

I cant explain it.....But my alt. gage pulsates also (all the time at an idle and worse if the lights are on) I have had the system checked at the parts store many times and they tell me its pleanty good.....

I have noticed that if I spray WD-40 directly into the alternator and the junction block where the wireing goes from the engin compartment into the cab ( below the mastrer clynder ) it does reduce the ammount of movement on the gage, But it is only temporary.

majortom

it's a balmy -1 here. the speedo had frost on the back from the cable. the alt got tested ok. replaced volt regulator with hd unit for 100 amp. gage is rock steady. trucks have feeling too

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks