• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ignition coil thoughts

n1bnc

I discovered that my ignition coil went belly up. The ohm meter indicates opens between the various connections and I compared it to the one on the Unimog in terms of internal connection points. The question for the day is: can i run a 12v ignition coil from an old chevy or should I wait until Sam Winer gets a brandy new (import) to me?

I have cleaned the plugs and have a new cap and rotor in there so call me eager to let this machine rumble down the street!

Lance Corporal

You might be able to get by with any regular 12 volt coil. The main difference would be the condender that may be attached to the coil itself. Save the old condenser use it on the replacement coil. Most coils of any particular voltage are pretty much the same (in the older days). Check voltage to the coil (12 volt line). If the battry is up (at about 12.6 to 12.9 volts) the line at the coil should be about 11. something) If the new coild burns points a resister can be placed in the line to cut the voltage. I use a auto light bulb for a resister. The smaller the light bulb the less current will flow out of it. Start with a 1056 and go from there. You may have to make a "go around" so there'll be a higher voltage for starting.

n1bnc

I have replaced the coil with a new one from Sam Winer Motors. Robert was very helpful. The motor was still not starting and I went through the whole distributor with the ohm meter [complaining] Everything seemed okay, ground was where it was supposed to be and 25+v was where it needed to be. I assembled the whole mess and left one spark plug dangling free with a plug on the end. I dragged the wife out of the house and showed her what I wanted her to do. Ignition on, and two hands on the starter handle, i watched the plug and heard the truck trying to catch! :roll:

The plug wire was reattached to where it belongs and I told the wife to crank again while my foot was on the gas and it started right up, with about 4 cylinders running. Woohoo!!! I cleaned the rest of the plugs and now it purrs! :smilewinkgrin: The new exhaust works great as well!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks