• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 Transfer Case

401-J10

I was reading that the transmission in the M211 was a GM hydramatic so i was wondering if any knew how easy it would be to hook up the transfer case from a M211 to a 70s turbo 400 transmission. And any information on the M211 transfer case would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks

Evan

Michael

There is no high or low range for one thing, that is done in the tail cone of the transmision. Using any orther transmision in a M135/211 means changing the tranfer case for all practical purposes.

pa.rich

I dont think it would be compatible or practicle. The tranny is where the high and low range is and then you would have to change the transfer case too. Thats not going to work because most transfer cases have a input shaft and two driveshafts. The 211 has an input, and a front output for the front axle, and two more output driveshafts for the rears{a driveshaft for each rear axle.]Why change it? If its not working then rebuild it. :wink:

401-J10

Well thanks for the replies. I guess i should explain what i wanna do. I've got some m211 axles that i want to put under my 78 Jeep Truck. From what i've heard i will have to flip the front differential if i want to use the axles with a traditional transfer case. I would really prefer not to do this since it seems like it would weaken the axles since the axle shafts have to be modified. So basically i am looking for a two speed transfer case that i can somehow hook up to my turbo 400 that will spin the axles in the correct directions.

Any Ideas?????

chevycrew

Flip the whole axle, making it a drivers side diff. then swap out your t-case to a drivers drop.

Get the adapter to adapt the th400 to the round 6 t-case bolt pattern, pick up a ford drivers drop 208, find the corrent input gear for the 208 to match your transmission output, swap it out and bolt it all together. Advance adapters, or some of the 4x4 sites should be able to tell you what exactly it will take to put a ford t-case (or 88-98 IFS chevy) behind your tranny.

401-J10

chevycrew said:
Flip the whole axle, making it a drivers side diff. then swap out your t-case to a drivers drop.

Get the adapter to adapt the th400 to the round 6 t-case bolt pattern, pick up a ford drivers drop 208, find the corrent input gear for the 208 to match your transmission output, swap it out and bolt it all together. Advance adapters, or some of the 4x4 sites should be able to tell you what exactly it will take to put a ford t-case (or 88-98 IFS chevy) behind your tranny.
Could i really do that? So would there not be any kind of oiling issues with the differential? Is there a drivers side drop np 205, cause that is what i would love to go with for a transfer case.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Years back I repowered a GMC M135 with a 501 V8 & turbo 400 trans out of a '70's Caddy El Dorado. I used an aftermarket low 1st gearset in the 400, and the stock transfer in the GMC. It worked just fine, pulled good off-road, and was a LOT faster on the road. Overall mileage stayed the same. Sounded good with twin exhausts and glasspacks.

Keep in mind that transfer is a single-speed unit, and has a permanent 16% underdrive to boot.

It made for a great conversion, as the truck was missing the power plant when I bought it. I sold it some time ago, and hear it still goes today.

dg

401-J10

G744 said:
Years back I repowered a GMC M135 with a 501 V8 & turbo 400 trans out of a '70's Caddy El Dorado. I used an aftermarket low 1st gearset in the 400, and the stock transfer in the GMC. It worked just fine, pulled good off-road, and was a LOT faster on the road. Overall mileage stayed the same. Sounded good with twin exhausts and glasspacks.

Keep in mind that transfer is a single-speed unit, and has a permanent 16% underdrive to boot.

It made for a great conversion, as the truck was missing the power plant when I bought it. I sold it some time ago, and hear it still goes today.

dg
So how did the transfer case bolt up to the turbo 400? Or is this a divorced transfer case?

majortom

i put the eng, trany,transfer out of a 86 4x4 chev pickup in a 211. i ran the output into the 211 transfer and did not use the 4x4 front axle outpt.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So how did the transfer case bolt up to the turbo 400? Or is this a divorced transfer case?

It was/is a divorced unit, so a single driveshaft with the right yokes and spline was used. IMHO, it was all Spicer stuff.

dg

401-J10

majortom said:
i put the eng, trany,transfer out of a 86 4x4 chev pickup in a 211. i ran the output into the 211 transfer and did not use the 4x4 front axle outpt.
Yeah that sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of that. But so does anybody see a problem with flipping the front m211 axle to make it a drivers side drop and then using a regular transfer case?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks