• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinning WVO or SVO with gasoline

MikeON

On the Biodiesel forum I find lots of discussion about thinning vegetable oil with Regular Unleaded Gasoline (RUG), or kerosene or other solvents. The typical mix is 5% to 25% RUG. It is of course filtered. They then use it without heated tanks in their vehicles. Here are some examples:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/155102319?r=637104319

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9751014871/m/8811073412/p/1

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/1571038201

Has anyone here tried this in the multifuels? I can get enough free WVO to keep my deuce going, and also have some stale RUG.

Mike

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think this has been talked about in other threads here, so you might want to do some searches. I have done this with my deuce though. Due to the acidity of WVO though, and that I am running the stock fuel system I only run this on long trips where I know it will be burned out within that trip without any significant engine shutdown. This is also because the tank stays hot with the fuel return from the engine thus making sure that no fats fall out of the mix. Filtration of course is a given need, and you want to try to eleminate any water or heavier fats. Water and acidic WVO is not good for metal parts. Oh and make sure you have extra filters with you just in case.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is really only one single reason for doing anything to veggie oil, a perfectly good fuel by itself and that is to lower its viscosity. You can make "biodiesel" from it or mix any number of concoctions with it, but the bottom line is that the viscosity must be lowered to make it useful at lower temperatures. Of course, heating the fuel system solves the problem once and for all.
Adding gasoline (RUG) still doesn't extend the usable temperature that much, just try it yourself with a small sample and a thermometer in the freezer.

Biodiesel "manufacturing" has become big business, but when used in a small proportion like 5%, why not just use the veggie oil anadulterated and eliminate the use of methanol/ethanol and the disposal of byproducts like glycerine?
I think the answer is that veggie oil is not a recognized fuel in this country....something to think about since there will never be enough veggie oil for everybody to run on it 100% (=so why bother making biodiesel).

flyinhigh

i hear this argument all the time. "if we cant run everything on it why should we grow it" look at right now, we dont run EVERTHING on gas, we have vehicles that run on lpg as well, and diesel, and gas, and alchohol, and electric. its just one more option.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks