• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got a '77 M886, have questions.

SoylentGreen

Need some paint info/color codes.
Pretty sure the inside of the cab is Seafoam green, ambulance box is white.
What to use for the engine compartment?
Engine block?
Exterior?
I'm sure I'll have more questions later.
Thanks

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Just got a

Looks good so far, gotta get rid of those meats though. Oh yeah, welcome to the site.

N1265

RE: Just got a

The exterior should be lusterless forest green, The engin block should be chrysler blue ( light blue ) and on my M880 the engin compartment was black, ( due to the rust proofing that was sprayed on at the factory )

you have a good looking truck there, You might want to talk to Bob H. from this site. He has a couple of M886s

N1265

Here is a picture of my engin compartment when I got the truck, the inside of it is forest green like the exterior with a Black rust prevenative sprayed on it. Most restorations I have seen simply spray the whole engin compartment black.

Also is a picture from a restoration done be Alpha-heaven. as you can see the compartment is black and the engin is blue.

If you look closley at my picture you can still see traces of the blue paint on the botom of the block. This was the standard color that chrysler painted their engins in the '70s, Hope this helps. I'll see if I can dig up the actual paint codes from the federal color chart that was used during the '70s

Attachments

N1265

Lusterless Forest Green is # 34052 on the Federal Color Chart that can be found at any Sherwin - Williams Store.

If you plan of Camoing the truck let me know and I will dig up the other color numbers for you....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would move that M886 out by the street and then not walk, but run away from it. LOL Whats your address? Just joking, great looking meat wagon. Is the back still military complete? I still want one!

Macanie

Ours was camo out, forrest green in cab and engine compartment, blue engine, white in box, when bought from surplus in the mid 90's.

Rick

1 - XM 819
2- M35A2's
1 - M886
1 - 100KW gen set
multiple trailers

SoylentGreen

Thanks for help.
The rims have been changed to 16", want to put Michelins on, know what size would be good?
The back is pretty much gutted, has a bench seat on the left with original heater.
Engine starts easy but leaks oil from somewhere, will be going to a mechanic to see where. Will do a complete overhaul if needed.
Going to keep original paint scheme.
Thanks again

McGuyver

I thought the forest green used on with the MERDC four color cammo pattern was 34079? Wouldn't this be the same forest green color it would have come from the factory with before the cammo pattern was applied?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
McGuyver said:
I thought the forest green used on with the MERDC four color cammo pattern was 34079? Wouldn't this be the same forest green color it would have come from the factory with before the cammo pattern was applied?
Correct.......

Tires...........hmmm............ Originally came with 9.50R-16.5 approx 31" dia
a 235-85R16 is approx 32" dia

Have NOS tailpippes $20 ( Noticed non stock tailpipe location in pic)

May be parting out one of the M886's if it don't sell soon....
it has most of the rear compartment stuff intact.

for(old)pics of my other M886 click here
pretty much how it looked when retired from Army Reserves
and here on Olive Drab

Ace,
you have a list of those 880/890 parts?
I usually buy spares to keep on hand.

SoylentGreen

Bob H, I would be interested in the rear compartment stuff if you decide to sell. I would also like the taillights and backup lights. The grille would be nice too if it's good. There is other stuff I probably need as well, I just haven't realized it's missing yet.
Thanks

N1265

My bad, The 34052 is an earlier version of green. 34079 is period correct for the M880.

I currently run Goodyear Wrangler ( what the orginal tires were in a 16.5 ) in the P265/70R16s. The spedo is accurate with these tires....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks