• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

split rims

jollygreen6x6

Someone explain to me the process of disassembling split rims. I thought I had it figured out on dissasembly, but these do not want to come apart. Am I doing something wrong? The tire is deflated COMPLETELY (bad tube), I ran oil along the ring where it splits apart, started hitting it with a hammer. No? OK, pry it apart with a screwdriver. Nope? Dangit. Some one just please tell me what to do?
Also, no one have a heart attack about some idiot reassembling the rims. I have heard every horror story, and all the safety precautions. When I reassemble, it will involve log chains, 50 foot of air hose, and a clamping tire chuck. I have to learn how to do this somehow.

Westech

CPL
your on the right track. deflate the tube and there will be no pressure on the ring (your safe) try and not use any oil if your going to reuse the tire, the oil will brake it down. try using a 4x4 or some other chunk of wood/steel and set it on the beed of the tire and drive a car/truck up the wood and brake the beed that way. I have a tire machine so its all good, but if you dont have one its a B*$&% and a half.

Gatnom

If you have a high lift jack you can use it under the front end of your deuce to break the bead. Once the bead is broken, it still has to be held away from the lock ring as it is actually a wedge forced into the locking groove by the tires bead. If you can't hold the bead back the lock ring won't ever come free.

As far as re-assembly. First, it is best to keep the lock rings with the wheel it was removed from. Don't know if its true, but I remember reading years ago that various manufacturers could have slightly different angles on the mating surfaces which could lead to trouble in locking up, (always better safe than sorry). I always put log chain on them and fasten it well (bolt,or tape the hooks so it can't come unhooked before your ready. Over pressure them by 10 t0 15 psi to make sure they are seated, (some bead lube really helps here; I buy tire working supplies from " www.gemplers.com "), then back them down to where you want it. and last flop the tire around a few times (I once saw a split safely filled in a cage and rolled out. When it was left to flop down it came apart). That gets your attention! Handeled carefully splits are pretty safe, and the wheels are brute strong. Just use common sense and plenty of respect.

Oh, some of those tires that have been on forever can be impossible buggers to break the bead on!

Dave

jollygreen6x6

So the bead needs to be broken around the ring for the ring to come off...
I wish I knew that about three days/two screwdrivers ago...

rdixiemiller

Most military rims have a deeper lock ring than civvy wheels. We used to scrounge deuce wheels for our old Ford dumptrucks. The wheels were stronger than the civvies, and a little wider. I use a duckbill sledge to break down mine.

Rattlehead

Yeah you need a duckbill sledge and a good back, maybe even a chiropractor, to break these beads if they have been on for a long time, or even if they haven't. There is also a product called Bead Cheata, it is about $175 or so but can help. You should still get a duckbill sledge to push the bead the rest of the way off. You should also get a lock ring pry tool to help get that lock ring off without breaking all your screwdrivers.

rdixiemiller

I bought the split lock tool, 2 spoons, and 2 bead breakers several years ago. Handy things to have around. I use Dawn dishwasher detergent and water as a lube on an old, stuck tire. When dismounted, take a good wire wheel on a 7" side grinder and de-rust everything. Shoot a coat of red oxide Rustoleum. let sit overnight and reassemble the next day. Some of these old wheels will be terribly rusty from years of moisture.

bomar76

Just use a stout plank ramp fashion and drive up on it to break the bead loose...beats the hell out of beating it to death with a duckbill or what ever.

BTW...I plagurised this idea from an old coot I saw using this techinique years ago...I don't want to be accused of stealing someone else's work.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bomar76 said -
BTW...I plagurised this idea from an old coot I saw using this techinique years ago...I don't want to be accused of stealing someone else's work.
Joe,

I'm glad to see that you have a good sense of humor. (noting all that firepower in your avatar)

It's too bad that I don't make it up to Marysville anymore, I would have to buy you a beer. (My brother lived in Ostrander until last year, and I had a girlfriend who worked at Roby Chevrolet there at route 33 a few years ago) - small world, indeed.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently bought a Bishman 931 truck tire changer from Gov. Liquidation. It had all the tools with it, but the power cord was cut off. I wired in a new cord, and whoopee, everything on it works fine! My son and I broke down one rusty wheel/tire with it, and it went so good we went out to the wheel pile and got two others just because it went so well with the machine. I paid $310 for it. It has a place of honor in my shop. How many hours I have spent breaking down these tires manually! With the machine, it is just too much fun when you have done so many the old way. Anyone with several vehicles should consider buying one. They will do 16" through 24" wheels, and also have tooling to do the tubeless truck tires.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks