• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headed out to SC for body tub

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About to head out the door to go pick up Kaylee's new body tub. My jeep's body and fenders are pretty well shot, and I am getting a some new M38 parts from a guy in SC, selling a brand new tub, hood, and two new fenders for $1000 cash. Too good a deal to pass up. Total trip time will be 15 hours or so, 7.5 hours each way. Lots of gas money, but cheaper than shipping it.

I am going to be stopping by and visiting two fellas, one in SC and one in NC, who have military jeeps. Will bring my camera and take a few pics. Also making the obligatory stop at the East Coast's best known fireworks stand, "South of the Border". It's a tourist trap that is a requirement!

Be back late tonight....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
brand new tub, hood, and two new fenders for $1000 cash
That is a great deal! Definitely worth the gas to go retrieve 'em.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will do, Adam. Your M38A1 wasn't that bad, was it? Nope - didn't take the deuce. Then the trip would've taken twice as long and cost twice as much in fuel!

Very tired and the truck is the worse for wear - my daughter got sick and projectile vomited all over the inside of the truck, 3 times. I guess little kids and road food don't mix on long trips. Also, I dropped the trailer(!). The pin holding my ball mount in the receiver fell out and the trailer skidded to a halt on the roadside. The chains snapped too. Good thing it happened on the way down, when it was empty, early, and not too many folks were on the road I was on (is was a local road, not the interstate). Freak accident, cops stopped by and were happy that noone was hurt. I quickly went to the auto parts store and got a locking pin, and two sets of safety chains. Everything safe after that.

Guess this isn't my week for picking things up.

Will have some pics shortly.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, glad you made it back safe and sound.

My M38a1 is a rust bucket- not much of the body can be saved. the floor boards were layered over twice... and they left the rusted stuff underneath, so it just rusted out what they put on it. She runs good though...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got the pics off my camera. The tub was a MD Juan body tub for an M38, one of the early ones with none of the standard cutouts and holes pre-drilled, so I have my work cut out for me. The tub was new, but installed on a chassis and left outside a bit, then removed, the project was abandoned, and that's how I ended up with a $2500 body tub for $1000 plus some spare parts thrown in for good measure.

Here's a couple pics of the tub in the trailer and headed for home.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks