• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bad a$$ r/c b29

BSH

How about "those guys" can fly, since the X-1 & B29 had different pilots. That was awesome. How much spare time and money does it take to be able to do that, I wonder?

littlebob

BSH said:
How about "those guys" can fly, since the X-1 & B29 had different pilots. That was awesome. How much spare time and money does it take to be able to do that, I wonder?
Same thing I was thinking.

littlebob

Banshee365

Hey guy's. I compete at the national level in precision and freestyle aerobatics with giant scale aerobatic airplanes. Been flying R/C airplanes since I was 8 years old and variants of the aerobatic B-29 have been around for years. That is Mac Hodges of Andersonville, GA and Hodges Hobbies. He's a great guy and that B-29 in the video is the 2nd I know of as the first crashed. The 2nd was bigger and better with an almost 1:1 power-weight ratio and a larger 18' wingspan. He uses differential power from 4 ZDZ 80cc single-cylinder engines to get it to flat spin good and such.

Yall are correct that Mac flies the B-29 and the X-1 has another pilot. Mac is world renowned in our industry and has been hitting airshows with his B-29 for as long as I can remember.

Unfortunately the B-29 in the video was lost only 2 weeks ago in Kentucky at an airshow when they forgot to tighten the wing bolts. In a flat spin one of the wing panels slid out on the tube and when he tried to pull out it folded and that was all she wrote. Here is a video of the crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWbzId0vQGM

To add more sentiment to the story, the builder of the 18' B-29, a great friend of Mac's, passed away only a month or so ago from today from cancer. Knowing Mac and his long list of friends he'll have another B-29 going in the near future. For now, that one will be missed.

-Kelly

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks