• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Methanol up again....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cost of making biodiesel has once again gone up...methanol is now $5.00/gallon and will be close to $5.50 soon. That's twice what I paid two years ago.
Veggie oil is costing the restaurants more than $20.00/cubie now, which is up from $13.00 also two years ago. As a result, the restaurant here (my WVO source), uses the oil longer.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have noticed an increase in the number of people "selling" used WVO in my area. Three years back they were giving it away like it had hives, a couple places in town are selling WVO for $3/gallon. !!! No kidding. BTW - that's pre-processed junk WVO. Almost worth it to continue burning diesel.

Melvinitis

Newbie question, can you burn other than diesel in the CUCV engines? If so what? Thanks again for a dumb newbie question, I have looked all over this site and not found the subject directly addressed.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

SasquatchSanta

RE: Re: RE: Methanol up again....

maddawg308 wrote:

I have noticed an increase in the number of people "selling" used WVO in my area. Three years back they were giving it away like it had hives, a couple places in town are selling WVO for $3/gallon. !!! No kidding. BTW - that's pre-processed junk WVO. Almost worth it to continue burning diesel.
Don't know if you saw it or not but I made a post not long ago concening the market price of yellow grease. Yellow grease is what renders call WVO that has been filtered, cooked (sanitized) and centrifuged. The current market for yellow grease is $1.95 a gallon

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=191642&highlight=#191642

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Bjorn, I have heard that Ethanol can be used to produce bio, is that correct? solve your methanol supply problem- build a still! :beer:

I'm going to use the pecan trees on my property for oil- one acre of trees will produce about 200gal of oil. I'm going to be planting my fuel in a year if everything works out right. And when the warranty is up in my wifes jeep, I'm yanking the gasser and popping in a diesel. [thumbzup] Everything else I own (well, except my 'new' M37...) is already diesel.

Melvinitis

you guys are awesome. This wevsite and the members are some of the fast friends I have ever made. I have not been scolded yet for a dumb question, or somthing talked about a million times!!

gringeltaube.... thanks...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Methanol up again....

Ferroequinologist said:
Bjorn, I have heard that Ethanol can be used to produce bio, is that correct? solve your methanol supply problem- build a still! :beer:.. .
:) Believe it or not, I do have a still, a "pot still", however I would have to run the ethanol thru ten times to get the purity required for biodiesel.
Anyhow, I rather use methanol, using agri products for fuel has already increased the price of so many things in the grocery store. :cry:

flyinhigh

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Methanol up again....

most of the price increases have been due to people not being educated in the alternatives. Soy bean oil is honestly one of the worst alternatives there is, off the top of my head, i think that even the oil palm is somewhere in 13 times more productive in gallons of oil per acre than soy. if i remeber correctly you can get somewhere in the 650 gallons of oil per acre and it requires very little maintenance. only caveat to it is that it needs semi tropical to tropical growing conditions but there have been advances lately in making it hardier. just think, pretty soon central america may be more about oil than cocaine!!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yes, the oil palm is about 650gals an acre. Bjorn, that's why I want to grow all my own fuel, instead of buying foodstuffs to convert. Didn't know about how pure you need the Ethanol, just a thought.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Right on, I even asked Kenny in Florida to put away some palm "fruit" when they come in season next. Between him and Mike (D-man) there should be a truck load to haul North. Of course, it would be better to press it on site...

Maybe it's time to start looking for a tanker trailer, M107?

The oil presses are a bit pricy, but gotto be the way to go and I don't see making biodiesel anymore unless the oil is so bad that it can't be used straight.

Funny thing is that the Elsbett installation on my Mercedes voids the warranty if waste cooking oil (WVO) is used. Must have something to do with acidity.

The 8x8 engine will only be fed fresh veggie oil and diesel/kero. :)

bottleworks

Hopefully Methanol will go down in price once racing seasons starts. It's always higher this time of year.

Kwai

Methanol price is tied to the price of natural gas since it is produced from natural gas. Natural gas prices are historically highest in Jan-Mar. The price should go back down in the spring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks