• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit 3-53 with Allison AT545 Pics..

texas-5-ton

I had some free time today so I went out and done some research on this Detroit Engine and obtained some numbers, at the request of some fellow members.

Heres what I came up with from the labels and decals..

Florida Industrial Machinery

NSN 1740-01-062-1657
SN ND 01925

Acceptance date: 22 Feb 1993

Mod 3-53
Bore STD
Mains STD
Rods STD

Allison AT545

To the best of my research , the Florida Machinery tag suggests maybe that this unit was rebuilt. I have had several diesel mechanics look at this thing and they all said that both the engine and transmission appear to have never been used. This is a very nice and clean unit and has all new hardware, such as air compressor, PS pump, Alternator, belts, hoses, and complete wiring harness. It was wrapped in a vacuum sealed bag in an engine container prior to the pics.

I have noticed several rebuilt detroit 3-53 engines on the web, ranging anywhere from $2K to $7K without the transmission.

I would really like to sell this to someone here that needs a set-up like this for their green iron . If nobody here is interested, It will be going on ebay soon.

Let me know if anyone is interested or if I can help any way.

Thanks..
Chad

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
bet that would fit in a m37 or older wc, it would make a super nice wc62 or 63. see i got my numbers right this time

hmburner

353 Detroit

From the 353s i have seen (i have seen plenty) that is a marine unit. It is turned on its side so to fit in a small engine space. It looks new to me and if you PM me i can give you a company name that only installs these engines locally here in Ontario. The fish tug guys really like them. I live a block away from the canal where they come in and at 5 in the morning when im walking the dog,you can hear Detroit music coming up the canal. I have a 353 in my 1956 M135 and it wasnt that big of deal to install

Bill

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: 353 Detroit

does not look like a marine unit because it has a fan, most marine units use heat exchangers, looks like it is laying on its side by the way the oil pan is

hmburner

353 Detroit

You are right. Gee my glasses must be dirty. Now i would really like to know what it belongs to . The engine i bought came out of a 74 Ford wonderbread truck that was converted to 353 by the company when it was new. A crate engine for a conversion application ?

texas-5-ton

RE: 353 Detroit

I have no idea guys. most of the mechanics that i talked to didnt know either, but the PS pump leads me to think a truck of some kind. MAybe a yard truck, tug....???? Either way, it is a very nice engine and transmission and could definately work something. Could it have been used on a pumping unit or something like that???

ida34

Re: RE: 353 Detroit

73m819 said:
does not look like a marine unit because it has a fan, most marine units use heat exchangers, looks like it is laying on its side by the way the oil pan is
It looks like it was designed to sit sideways. The trans pan shows it is oriented properly as well as the power steering pump.

texas-5-ton

RE: Re: RE: 353 Detroit

M792 Gamma Goat Ambulance

(In restoration)

The M792 is the ambulance version of the M561 Gamma Goat, which was developed to address problems with mobility in the 1950's and 1960's. The prototype, the XM561, was built by Chance-Vought Aircraft Company and used an articulated coupling between the front and rear sections that allowed body roll, pitch, and turn, while still transmitting power to the rear axle. This articulation was designed by Roger L. Gamaunt, for whom the vehicle was named.

The earliest prototypes used an air-cooled Chevrolet gasoline engine, but by pre-production that had been replaced with a Detroit Diesel 3-53 engine.

After development by Ling-Temco-Vought, bids were solicited for production in 1966 with Kaiser Jeep, Consolidated Diesel Electric Company, and Ling-Temco-Vought bidding on it and CONDEC ultimately being awarded the contract.

Although the Gamma Goat was supposedly amphibious, it was only marginally successful in water, requiring a very slow (2mph) entry from a very gently sloping bank and a current of less than 4mph. The noise level of 95 decibels, resulting from the engine being in the operator's compartment, required the driver and co-driver to wear ear protection.

The vehicles were propelled in the water by their wheels and both halves were equipped with bilge pumps. The aluminum body was foam-filled for additional buoyancy.

The production model retained the Detroit Diesel 3-53 engine coupled with a 4-speed manual transmission and 2-speed transfer case.

Although some M561's were used in Vietnam, the Gamma Goat never really filled its role as a go-anywhere vehicle. This, coupled with its reputation for unreliability, led to its replacement with the HMMWV in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Gamma is a Greek letter, the Gama Goat is spelled differently.

There ought to be a blue aluminum tag on the valve cover, maybe you can slide it out and scan it. it will have all the options and the configuration, HP, governed speed eTc. on it. Things important are the number of exhaust valves, direction of rotation, governor type.

Regards,

dg

jfnemt1ff1

Whe you look it the trans dip stick , it has to go in side way. But an auto trans in my Gama woould be great, It also looks wike a diffrent type of mount system then the goat. MAy me some type of pumping engine.
John

buckwill

hi this iss sbuck,,, that engine iss repower for mb3 aircraft tug,, it is meant to be run on its sidee, i hve one just like it, mine is zerro tiame since rebuild from north caroline rebuild facility,,,, but wsas in camp pendleton, if that pearticular engine is only rateddddd aat 65 horse, probalby governed to some low rpm or small injectors,,,,low compression, it is iron engine,,,, hte gama,,,,,,, gamaunt , proer spelling,,, is rated at 109 horsepower, if u want to sell it or post on detroait site email me, i am one of siste owners for detraoit diessel at yahoo, dot com,,, buck :D

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The question has been asked more than once here and answered ..........0.........times how much?????

popacom / Bill in Ky. :deadhorse:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks