• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m880

m880guy

Hey guys, i bought a 76 m880 from alfa heaven in july of last year, i dont need any comments from you guys who restore them to mil-spec quality, but i have some questions

i use the truck as a daily driver, and it runs like a champ, exept on unusually cold days, but ive only had one major problem, which happened to be my left rear wheel sliding out with the axle, but any ways

my reverse lights dont work when i throw it in reverse any help and its not the bulbs

theres no wire going to my horn, so no horn do i need a relay in the power wire?

ive got the humvee tires so im pretty sure those are wats keeping me from taking sharp right turns, any suggestions would be great

and what does it take to set up a radio in there?

oh ya, my gas guage doesnt work, but the rest of the cluster does, is my sending unit broken?

id appreciate all the help i can get thanks

mmwb

I'm new to old dodges myself so am yet familiarizing myself with my m880, but trouble shooting procedures will be mostly universal.

Do you have juice through the socket?
Do you have a ground?
Is a fuse blown?
Connections good at all points?
Does the sending unit work? etc...

Just start working your way through the ciruit until you find where the trouble lies.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
axle sliding out of a Dana 60.................never seen that!
I do have a surplus Depot rebuilt Dana 60 rear to sell, complete from drum to drum, unused $600 plus a drive to mid michigan to pick it up.

Reverse lights, check ground connection, or add a tempory ground to verify, if it is the ground out back. could also be the switch at the shifter linkage. is out of adjustment.

The horn wire should be there somewhere, just disconnected I suspect.

Yes those Humvee tires will rub when you turn, especially if on uneven ground.
Smaller tires, a Rough Country brand "add a leaf" kit from JCWhitney will help a little up front.
My avatar pic there on the left, is how mine sets with humvee tires and the "add a leaf"

Radio? Assuming you mean for music. Just put one in, watch ebay for a factory radio, unless you want it to sound good.

Gas gauge, probably the sending unit, they get corroded after sitting for years.

Curious,
Did all these issues come up after buying the truck or did you buy it knowing these issues?

m880guy

hey ya, i got the axle fixed at the local dodge dealership, the retaining nut froze or something and came off, it was 50 below that day, the problem with the radio is that theres no wires at all for that but thats no problem, my problem is that there is no radio opening, just a solid non removeable black plate, so im looking for a dash insert out of some other old dodge, thanks for the info about the switch for the back up lights
and im thinking its the sending unit also, one day i ran out of gas and was smacking the tank and i heard a rattling, i filled the tank and the guage had a reading for a whole tankful i havent talked to alfa heaven yet but im gonna bitch em out for the no lights or horn deal, thanks for the info ill get back to you guys if i run into anything else
pics coming soon

m880guy

ya it was, oh well, its a good runner, i spent all weekend de-winterizing it, actually, i just bottom blasted it and topped the fluids.
does any body know where i can get a brushguard? and not that crappy universal dakar bar you find at the parts bin seafoam makes everything great

McGuyver

When I first brought my M880 home (almost ten years ago...) the horn didn't work. After some troubleshooting, I discovereved that there is a grounding strap in across the rag joint on the steering shaft that had fatigued and broken. This strap is needed to complete the circuit since the horn grounds through the steering shaft. I fabbed up a new strap and it solved the problem. I have since had this strap break one other time, so this seems to be a reoccuring problem...

m880guy

sorry mcguyver the horn doesnt work because alfa heaven neatly wrapped the power cord around the horn i already checked the strap i just gotta wait for a warm wisconsin day to take the grill off and recover the wire

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks