• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A milestone in the restoration!

I want to share a few pictures of the ongoing restoration of my deuce. I commenced work again 10 days ago and spend some time daily on it. Last weekend I applied a coat of OD 24087. I let it settle for a few days now and apply a final coat then.
Still left to do:

- underside - cleaning, degreasing, priming and painting
- inside of bed / racks
- VIC-1 / radio installations
- markings
- brake repairs (repairs on airpack done, new master cylinder, now mainly adjustments and bleeding needed)
- electrical repairs (some cables need to be replaced, I want to install a master battery switch)
- bypass fdc
- build a large wooden box for transporting stuff safely on the bed

Way to go!

Cheers,
Mark

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That POOR truck! Shes all alone in such a big space, you need to get her some company! Truck looks great.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I had no idea how much I would like my shop van. I suggest you get one! I agree with the guys, buy an M151 for the oldlady. Then you can call her a MUTT!

maddawg, she looked quite rough and run down, but most bad parts were replaced as a prerequisite for the deal by relativly good used ones (e.g. battery box, seat, bumper, both fenders). Cabin was welded and looked very bad from the inside. Electric is still a mess. Transmission 5th gear is whining. Motor was blown when it was driven through a deep mudhole by a pre-owner and replaced. That ride through a mudhole is one of the main reasons I have a lot of work with it now, because it was neither prepared for that nor serviced after that properly. The dirt is still everywhere on the underside and its like concrete.

But I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel now, and it's fun to tinker around with it!

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Are you putting the lollipop lights back on? Those were standards for operating in NATO as I recall. It looks really good and if your buddy is not a Steel Soldier as him to visit the sight.

Thanks for posting the pictures,

armyman, I'll leave the lollipop lights of the truck. In fact, I'm lurking for the small, old-style turn signals to retrofit the truck with them. I want the truck to look like it was in the late sixities, and I think from looking at pictures that there were no lollipop-lights and few of the large blinkers then. Please correct me if I have the wrong impression here.
My buddy with the merdc deuce is already a steelsoldier, his nick is bunkerratte !

Florence

Fantastic Truck and great pictures Mark!!!

If I ever buy a second one myself I need to buy a shop van, because that's where I will have to move to when my girlfriend finds out.
:shock:

Theres only one way - search another girlfriend :oops:
A shop van - great idea! Easy to sleep near Garfield ... 8) :wink:

Cheers from Florence

Capt.Marion

roger-wilco-66 said:
...That ride through a mudhole is one of the main reasons I have a lot of work with it now, because it was neither prepared for that nor serviced after that properly. The dirt is still everywhere on the underside and its like concrete...
Same with my M37, except it lived in a mudhole (swamp). For 15 years. I just drove it upon on a ramp going down a hill, chauked her up like no tomorrow, and climbed under her and pressure washed like crazy. She lost a couple hundred pounds, and she still got mud all over everything from the bottom of the cab on down....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks