• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Charging

Armada

The battery is 24v, from my genset.
Is there a way to charge a 24v battery other than using a battery charger? (I don't have a 24V charger). The battery is not totally dead, just not enough juice left to turn the motor over.

Maybe by running a vehicle with a 24v charging system and running leads from the slave connector to the battery?

OR, with the battery still connected in the genset, if I run a slave cable from the truck to the genset, will that charge it? (the genset has a nato plug on it). Or would it damage the genset?

I imagine I could also run the genset (it has pull start) and charge the battery that way, but I think it would take forever to charge it, if at all.

How about if I used (2) 12 volt chargers in series? That would give me 24v output, right? ..... :shock: rofl

Attachments

mangus580

I generally let the genset charge ours... or I charge them from the 1009.

Your thought on 2 12v chargers actually might work too.

Is this a 5kw?

Armada

Yes, 5Kw. The battery is only about a year and a half old. It just never gets used. Now that I have a genset the power never goes off.

ida34

I broke down and got a 24 volt charger on ebay. Harbor freight had them for about $50 but I have about $25 into mine and it also works double duty as a 24 volt power supply. It has a 24 volt output and a 28 volt output for charging a standby battery. You could use it but I would just spend a couple of hundred dollars in diesel to charge it with the 5 ton and a slave cable. You could probably buy the Harbor freight unit for the diesel you would use to charge up the battery. I still have two of those batteries dry waiting for a time when I can work on the gensets.

kipman

I have a new 24 volt battery for my my MEP 701A, was thinking of using my 24 volt charger for my cordless tools. The battery's for the cordless tools are lithium ion, was wondering if that would work.

Speedwoble

I have a new 24 volt battery for my my MEP 701A, was thinking of using my 24 volt charger for my cordless tools. The battery's for the cordless tools are lithium ion, was wondering if that would work.
I would not do that. The charge rates(voltage and current) are different for Lead acid vs Lithium. Lead acids like to be topped off and maintain a trickle vs Lithium batteries charge then shut-off completely.

Speedwoble

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks