• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Radio Stuff for I.D.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The top one is a terminator. The North Hills RT000578 you show there is special, 78 ohm terminator (P/N RT500078 ) is 2 watt, 1% tolerance designed for a MIL-STD-1553 data bus.
It has a MINIATURE PL75 TYPE 3 LUG BAYONET PLUG and not a common BNC connector.
It cannot be used as a load for the PRC-77 or other little radios because it won't fit and it is not 50 ohms, but 78 ohms.

Otherwise, on things like this, see if it says 50 or 75 ohms (the greek "omega" symbol). It should have two diagonal slots, not three, to be useful to electronics users. The BNC type has two pins, not 3 like the PL-75 you have there. 50 ohms is for radio gear, 75 ohms is for video gear.
Normally it is NOT designed to absorb power from a radio. The common ones are usually rated 1/4 watt. Even a little PRC-77 will blow them. Take note that the center pin is a different diameter for 50 ohms and 75 ohms, and one should not be plugged into the other jack. The connector type you want is called "BNC". The ones you have there, are "PL-75".
They go to this:
http://www.databusproducts.com/applications.html

If you have nothing better to do with them, they can be used as keychains.

///

On the second set of pictures, these are simple inline attenuators. The connectors are caled "N" connectors. These are for test equipment use. What brand names and numbers are present on them?

\\\
Finally, I cannot believe they want an EUC on common electronic components that anyone with a 3" thick catalog can order with a credit card.

Reactions: NDT

El_Guapo

Beat me to it Opcom

The top one is used to end a daisy chain the resistance prevents signals from 'bouncing back.' You see a lot of 75 ohm terminators in TV work. The bottom ones are for radio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attenuator_(electronics)

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to go back and edit, the connector looked funny and it turned out to be useless! (unless you want a keychain)

jwbronco

The 2 left ones are inline attenuators with N-type connectors on both ends. They are used to simulate antenna loss or reduce power getting to a circuit. The N-type connector is a 50 ohm style connector even though it doesn't have an impedance. The one on the right is a termination resistor used in satelite equipment, that's the only place I've ever used the 3 lug bayonet connector and that would explain why it's 75 ohms

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks