• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Hours and $35.

Barrman

They shut down school and let us go at noon for Good Friday. My mom was here at the house because it was the last day of spring break for Colton. She didn't mind sticking around a few extra hours and Jennifer had things she wanted to do. My way was clear for an afternoon of M35 work.

I needed to strip both front fenders and the passenger door. All needed to be bare metal because of scratches and deep gouges. It took me almost 8 hours with a D/A and 60 grit paper to clean up the drivers door last month.

I had discovered these little sanding/grinding wheels from Harbor Freight after I finished my door, but before I did my hood. They cost around $5. each. They don't like edges. I used an almost worn out wheel to do all the edges of the door on both sides. Then changed over to a new wheel and it lasted both sides of the rest of the door.

The fenders have lots of sharp edges so they eat more disc up. I also had one that threw itself apart pretty fast.

But, I started at 1300, took a break every 2 hours for a sandwich and was done and ready to paint at 1900. About 5 hours of real work. I forgot to take pictures until I already had the door and one fender done, so that is all you get.

Everything got painted on the underside last night and will get the outside painted hopefully Sunday afternoon since I will be out of town the rest of today and most of tomorrow.

Hmm, pictures aren't loading this morning for me. Let me post this and try the pictures on a reply.

Cdub

The orginal Military paint and primer is some really hard stuff to sand. I find myself going through a lot of sand paper as well.......I have decided if the paint isn't not in bad shape, it just gets sanded smooth and repainted.

Good luck with the paint work,

C'dub

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARC eats sandpaper. That stuff just does not want to come off. That is the good thing about gassers, pre-CARC. (Looks good by the way!)

Barrman

RE: Re: sanding

I will post the part number at home since the link is bad for me too. Sorry about that.

No CARC, just 50 year old lead based paint.

littlebob

Looking good Tim. Paint removal has been one of the setbacks to my project. I really have to have a whole day to finish the removal and get preped and painted. The humidty here makes it a one day deal.
littlebob

Capt.Marion

I love these little wheels, and the wire wheels too. What did you use, a grinder or a drill? I know I use a grinder for big parts, and now use one of these wheels in a drill press for smaller parts. Very handy.

Barrman

Grinder on the body parts. The ones that fit into drills are about 1/2 the price and work great on the rims. All 8 of my finished rims were stripped with these little wheels.

pistolnut

Re: RE: Re: sanding

littlebob said:
Looking good Tim. Paint removal has been one of the setbacks to my project. I really have to have a whole day to finish the removal and get preped and painted. The humidty here makes it a one day deal.
littlebob
Littlebob, I love the new avatar, it really fits with your truck progress.

I liked the photos where Sermis sandblasted his truck. There is an oilfield sandblasting yard near my place, I'm going to see what they'll charge me to blast it. If the price is right, I'll have them blast it and maybe even prime and paint. An oilfield paint job would be very consistent quality-wise with the military paint jobs.

Nice progress Tim! I'm greener with envy every day.

Cdub

RE: Re: RE: Re: sanding

Try the 3M Gold sanding disk for the Da and the 3M Green Corps for the grinding disk.
You'll have much better results and a shorter time frame.

I only remove the bad paint (i.e. chipped, cracked, flaking and scratches) and rust when prepairing
the body pannels for primer. If the paint is in good condition I just leave it alone and DA it down for prime.

cheers,

C'dub

Attachments

Ozarker

Try the 3M Gold sanding disk for the Da and the 3M Green Corps for the grinding disk.
You'll have much better results and a shorter time frame.

I only remove the bad paint (i.e. chipped, cracked, flaking and scratches) and rust when prepairing
the body pannels for primer. If the paint is in good condition I just leave it alone and DA it down for prime.

cheers,

C'dub
Noob question...what is "DA"?

Getting ready to do my doors.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually a jitterbug sander is not a DA. It is orbital and takes a 1/4 sheet of sandpaper. A DA is either palm held, or it will have a handle and does both orbital and circular and uses the round self adhesive sanding disks.;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks