• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stainless steel coils for WVO or ethanol production

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I got these stainless steel coils off GL last week and in my mind they would make great heat exchangers to put in a auxillary tank WVO system.
They could also be used as a worm on a still..........err as part of an ethanol producing device. :wink:
They are approx 1 inch in diameter with a stainless steel union on one end and a stainless elbow on the other.
You don't even want to know what the gooberment paid for these. :shock:
Price is $45.00 plus shipping.
I will have some of them at the Mobile, AL show next weekend (28-29 March).
PM for order info since I can take Paypal through a friend.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stainless isn't a very good heat conductor. I guess they would make a heat exchanger but would be nowhere near as good as copper or aluminum.
I'd take it to a scrap yard and have them shoot it with their gun to tell what alloy it is. Some high heat stainless alloys will bring as much as $9.00 a pound.

wdbtchr

We used a lot of SS in heat exchangers in the Chem Industry mainly due to corrosion, they work good. I am curious what alloy they are, and it would take a big hole to install them in a tank.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wdbtchr said:
We used a lot of SS in heat exchangers in the Chem Industry mainly due to corrosion, they work good. I am curious what alloy they are, and it would take a big hole to install them in a tank.
You're right. Most of the time you see SS used it's either a corrosive enviroment or high heat.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
wdbtchr said:
......and it would take a big hole to install them in a tank.
Actually, no, a spiral can be "screwed" into the tank thru a smaller opening.
You will need extra hole(s) for your hands to move the coil around and to complete the connections, though. I did this for the 10" inch dia copper coil in my deuce (and 8x8) fuel tank. Used 4" openings easily cut with a holesaw.
Images show how coil was installed via fuel pump opening.
http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2905&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
wreckerman893 said:
They could also be used as a worm on a still..........err as part of an ethanol producing device. :wink: .......
Hmm...I have a vintage "pot still" for sale if someone is interested....copper kettle tubing and cooling tank.....PM if interested....

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks