• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need 77 M880 fuel tank sending unit and possibly fuel gauge

redbeard

Hi. I am looking for the sending unit that fits the 77 M880 plastic fuel tank. I can't seem to find one that matches the specs for this truck. I will be dropping my tank to clean it. I am getting rust in the fuel filter. Since the tank is plastic, I am assuming the rust comes from the metal of the sending unit.
Any help or info appreciated.
Myles

redbeard

fuel sending unit

Thanks to both of you for the help. I remembered Saturn Surplus after posting this note. I have already emailed them for both the sending unit and gauge.

Didn't think of the rusted fuel lines themselves. Are these cleanable or just buy new ones? Are there specific fuel lines or do I just buy lengths and bend them myself.

thanks again,
Myles

Hal_VT

RE: fuel sending unit

I bought steel brake line and bent them myself. It was pretty easy, because I had the box off at the time. The ones under the cab were a little harder.

redbeard

sending unit and gauge search

Thanks for all the answers. I "m glad it isn't just me that thought the prices at the 2 links Bob posted seemed awfully expensive. No offense Bob, just a surprise. Next, I am aware the civilian parts do swap in. The problem I found was finding someone who sold them. The dealers told me they didn't stock and couldn't get anything that old. Salvage yards around here said same thing. I emailed Saturn Surplus and have not heard anything back. IIRC, I emailed them for parts a year or so ago. I never heard back and had to make a couple of phone calls to them to get my questions answered. I know this is not a full time store like, say NAPA, so I wasn't all that troubled with no answer. I got through eventually.I also appreciate the advice for the metal fuel lines. I am going to start with the tank and new (newer?) sending unit, stick with the clear fuel filter, and see what happens. If they need replaced then I (or my stepson) will take them off one at a time, match the bends and put new in. Oh, I always use clear plastic fuel filters when they are an option. I even used those little ones with the replaceable center bronzish element. Discovered elements hard to find and it was just easier to use the $.99 ones that now cost $2.50 or so. Ah. life in the new millenium...

Hoot_223, if you have those parts, I would greatly appreciate your offer. Let me know what you want for them, plus shipping and a packing fee if you want one. I have shipped lots of stuff, as everyone else here probably has done, and sometimes that box of peanuts and such gets a mite pricey. I certainly trust the members of this site, but it is also public, so if you want to send me an IM through here for my address and phone number.

Thanks again for all the help. I love these type of specialty sites. I really don't know how I survived without them...

Myles

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks