• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV PCB Black Control Box Needed???$$$

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Guys,
My glow plug light now just flickers when I switch the Ing on. Does not start right up. Used to start right up when the light went out. Im told I need a new PCB Black Box.
Everything else is new. Including the glow plugs. Can anyone comfirm this?
Also where and how much should I pay for one? I have seen them on Ebay from 100 to 200 dollars for a new one.
Anyone got a spare?....
Kevin..

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yep, sounds like you need a new one.

Also, ONLY buy a Green or Yellow label KDS box. One of the 2 (And I dont recall which one) requires the GPC, and one doesnt. Anything else other than a green or yellow label KDS box is older stuff..

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks Will do.
I was told to make sure the 2 controllers match..KDS pcm with a KDS controller..
Now I have to find one...Myne is a SSI controller and box., Im told also to replace the controller first since its cheaper..Is SSI any good? I guess its a older controller..
Kevin..

gunchief113

Re: control box/glow plug issue

The green box handles everything. It takes over for the temp switch and GPC. If you are going to use a yellow label, make sure that the GPC is good, as well as the temperature switch. Before you go nuts, make sure to test the glow plugs first. If they are blown again, you might try adding a direct ground wire from the neg bolt on the generator to the mount bolt on the PCB, where it bolts to the cowl. When the box has poor ground, it tries to get it through the plugs, thus frying them. Kascar also sells a grounding kit, as HMMWVs have always had grounding issues. I went through 3 sets of plugs before I got that one figured out...expensive lesson. Good luck!
-Brian

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: control box/glow plug issue

THANKS! Great info..I just replaced the glow plugs and it was working great for 25 starts...then nothing. Normally it gets harder and harder to start when you start to loose glow plugs...I ordered a KDS from Kascar. Older one that does away with the controler. 200.00...I will check the glow plugs for voltage before i install it. I also added a grounging strap from the block to the frame. I also cleaned all the grounding points. I will also add a grounding strap from the Altinator to the box like you said..or I will order the grounding harness from Kascar and install it..I will check the bolts/grounging of the box also!
Thanks again!.,
Kevin..

x63b

RE: Re: control box/glow plug issue

If you still need it ill send you one for $150 new with the glow plug controller to help from starting on its own

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hi,
Which one do you have?..The KAS Car one i got was defective. I put on a old one a friend had , and now it starts fine! Its the orginal old one that they say to keep an eye on..But I should have an extra!
Kevin..

x63b

its a yellow kds and has the glow plug controller with it, i als have 2 of the green kds but i prefer to use the yellow, if you want the green ill let it go for $100 new in box plus shipping

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sounds, good! But I would like the yellow controler. MY hmmwv needs the temp controler to start correctly. How much for the yellow one?..
Kevon..., I can send with paypal ...

M725

decodeme2 said:
Hey Guys,
My glow plug light now just flickers when I switch the Ing on. Does not start right up. Used to start right up when the light went out. Im told I need a new PCB Black Box.
Everything else is new. Including the glow plugs. Can anyone comfirm this?
Also where and how much should I pay for one? I have seen them on Ebay from 100 to 200 dollars for a new one.
Anyone got a spare?....
Kevin..
With out looking at the truck: I have put in some Black boxs in that flickered, I was told that is the way they were designed. Did you wait till it stopped before trying to start the truck? Also did you wait 10mins after installing the glow plug controller? The truck is made of aluminum where the box mounts. If the box is not grounded. The ground wire in your harness is bad. You can by pass it, but you should fix the wire.

If you do not have an auxillary ground harness-install at least a jumper to one of the four control box mounting fasteners from your ground lug on your alternator and check all main grounds from your batteries to starter and battery to body.

Get the KDS green control box! It is stand alone and needs to other peripherals to work properly.

`

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks