• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A different project and paint question?

KAILUAZ

So I'm doing a military theme on my 86 Mustang (see sig for more info). I'm going to paint the exterior in 383 (34094) green. I want the car to have a authentic look and feel to the paint, but I don't want it to look like a beater. I know there is a fine line and this is definitely a project that can turn out like crap if it isn't done right.
So I'm going back and forth on which paint to use. I have a sample from MILSPRAY and its some good stuff, I just don't know if I want to spend that much on paint. How is the Gillespie compared to the MILSPRAY? I'm going toward the cheaper Gillespie as I'm on the "newborn baby" budget.
Thoughts??
Thanks,
Eric

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like Gillespie paints. The last truck I painted with 34094 held up fine for 3 years in the south florida sun. My only objection is the texture of it. CARC has an abrasive feel to it. I'm told ground quartz could be added to the paint for texture.

Sarge

I'm not familiar with MILSPRAY, but I'm very familiar with Gillespie. Gillespie is an excellent paint. As Kenny pointed out, it has a much smoother texture than CARC, but 34094? That's not a CARC colour is it?
An 86 Mustang? That's ahhh... an interesting MV, ahhh.....
I tried to look at your Mustang link, but I have a dial-up, so no-go.
How about posting a couple of photo's on this site?
ahhh....
-Sarge

Crash_AF

Here is the photoshop of a similar car in green.

Just an FYI, the USAF used sports cars like Mustangs and Camaros as chase cars for the U-2s. They were probably strata blue though, not OD.

Later,
Joe

Attachments

KAILUAZ

Thanks for the information guys. I think I'll go with the Gillespie since I cant bring myself to justify the price of the MILSPRAY.
Thanks for uploading the picture, I added some more in "My Albums".
Yes its a interesting choice of vehicle and color combo. I've had 7 Mustangs total and have seen just about every look out there. It gets old seeing all the same stuff over and over at shows and on the road. I want to do something different and I think a military theme would be fun since I was in the Army.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
IF your car stays outside - you won't be happy with the Gillespie - it least that is the case from my experience. Keep it in a closed garage - then Gilespie is the way to go.

Regards,
David

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DDoyle said:
IF your car stays outside - you won't be happy with the Gillespie - it least that is the case from my experience. Keep it in a closed garage - then Gilespie is the way to go.

David, are you referring to Aervoe or Gillespie here? I've got some 5 yr old 34094 that seems to be holding up great in the S Fla sun.
Regards,
David

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Recovry4x4 said:
DDoyle said:

David, are you referring to Aervoe or Gillespie here? I've got some 5 yr old 34094 that seems to be holding up great in the S Fla sun.
Regards,
David
In my experience, the Aervoe fades out/changes colors in a year or so. The Gillespie Semi-Gloss grays and chalks in West Tennessee. In five years it is VERY noticeable. I've painted some with Forest Green as well, and was very unhappy, but don't remember if that was the "new formula" Aervoe or Gillespie.

Regards,
David

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The FS codes for the 3-colour 383 scheme are 34094 green, 30051 brown and 37030 black.

The colour codes refer to the standard shade rather than the type of paint, so it will be the same for any particular colour whether it is CARC or not.

For those not familiar with the FS number on paints, we'll use 34094 as an example. The first number 3 indicates it is flat (1 would be gloss, 2 semi-gloss). The second #, 4 indicates it is a green (0 for brown, 7 for misc colours like black, white, etc), and the last three #s are the actual colour shade.
With that in mind, 34079 is the flat green used on a lot of gun cradles and such, 24087 is semi-gloss OD from the '60s and so on.

Cheers

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
To append what Rory has said - there is one more piece to the FS puzzle - that is, which FS standard is being referenced? FS 595, FS 595A , the current FS-595B, or the new standard to be released later this year/early next year?

Though in theory the colors represented by each number should be the same in each standard, in fact they are not, one of the most notable exceptions being 24087.

So, when ordering paint, always specify which standard you are using, and which standard the seller is using.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David is of course absolutely correct. And please correct me if I don't have this right: FS-595A was in effect from 1968 until 1990 (or more correctly December of 1989). Most, but not all, of the colours match on both standards, including the three 383 camo colours. One exception is 24087, while this is called OD on both standards and has the same number, the two are very different shades.
The topic of different OD shades over the years in enough to fill a book, or at least an entire magazine!

KAILUAZ

Well I spoke the owner of A1 Safe here in St Pete, anyone local knows they are also A1 Tactical. Anyway he has some type of tracked troop carrier and other military vehicles. He uses the Gillespie 383 and the Gillespie primer. After talking to him for a while and checking out the track I think I'll go with the Gillespie.
Thanks for all the help and info you guys gave.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks