• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dome light questions

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Austin Weber seems to have an endless supply of these, does any of you use them?
What are they made of, aluminum, plastic, steel..?
How deep are they, the "thickness" dimension and do they mount on a flat surface?
How is the wiring done? Is the switch hard to operate?
How is the light?

I have been burnt by this seller's "as is" stuff before and want to be prepared before spending another 25-30 bucks there.

Thanks.

Attachments

Boatcarpenter

Dome Light

Bjorn,
I picked one up from Austin a while ago and have been slowly getting ready to install it. They are made of fairly heavy alum. or rugged pot metal, not sure. Main body is about 2" thick, 3" with switch. You can see from the pics that from the backside of the light to the backside of the mounting tabs is +/- 3/4". Mounted to a grounded surface, they are a one wire hookup. The switch is easy to operate. The blue light is a simple on/off. For the white light, you need to push the button on the end of the switch and move the that little peg past the peg on the housing. It operates quite easily. I have tested the light in daylight for function only; don't yet know how bright it is in darkness. Mine will be wired with a dedicated ground as I'm not sure the top bows will serve as a reliable ground.
Received mine as advertised, functioning with one good and one bad bulb.
Hope this helps. Need more pics of info, simply ask :D
The picture of the white one is courtesy of Kenny.
Sorry about the rusty top bows, will get to them this summer :oops:
BC

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The light is 6" square and 2' thick. The 4 corner tabs are for mounting. It can be mounted flat or it fits perfectly between the 3 crossbars on the deuce/5tonner soft top ising 1" loops. Switch works easily, turns one wa for the blue light and the other way for the white one. There is a lockout button for the white one. The housing needs grounding to work. The blue light is subdued and the white light is very bright. I've seen them mounted on the dash but really like mine up on the soft top frame.
Prentice beat me to the punch!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
RE: Dome Light

I have a bunch of these lights also that I am selling for only $10 each. I was not planning on going on line with them until after Aberdeen but don't have any problem selling them now if you want them. I am working on testing them so I can fire you off one (or two, or three, or ten, or twenty) if you want.

Also have C2298 Control Boxes, AM-1780 Boxes (coming in 2-3 weeks), clear and infra-red armored vehicle headlights, MT1029's (new), MX-7777's, sugar scoop mounts, antenna bases for 12 series, Sinc,and some AM sets, and a bunch of other stuff.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oooh, Medlog is my friend! I need to make a list. I have an older one that I was rebuilding but it had the Douglas connector and my attempts to change it have been less than ideal. Wonder how many fit in a $10 flat rate box? Medlog, I'm interested in 3 and maybe even a broken one if you have one to move. Here are 2 crappy pics of the light I'm working on. Sorry for pic quality. This one has the red BO filter instead of blue!

Attachments

Jones

Bjorn,
I picked up some from Austin and got enough to make several servicable ones from the bunch. I like 'em because of the white/blue light choices. Here's how I mounted them in the baby HEMTT. Set far enough forward to provide overhead lighting without casting a shadow from your head or shoulders on the work at hand.
These are for armor applications and might be a little bulky. The second one you posted a picture of is what the tactical trucks use as current issue.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Thanks all for the response. I still have plenty left. Looks like I'll have a lot of work to do this coming week testing them.

I will post my other stuff on the sale site as I get it in, cleaned up, and tested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks