• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

no spark

m880guy

i was going to start up mean green sunday afternoon, i had the bed all cleared out and i put the grill back on, my truck does have one blackout light mounting platform, along with repairs to the grill where the lights were, (im pretty sure) but i when i tried starting it up it wouldnt go, i pulled a plug wire and tested it for spark and nothing in the past month i put a new ignition conrol module in it, i have a brand new ballast resistor if thats neccicary, any ideas? one hole is stripped where the icm goes so it may be a faulty ground, but im thinking its something else, the starter will kick in but it will not turn over, i know for certain its is a problem with the fuel not igniting, please help me out

tmbrwolf

You did put the rotor in right? don't ask, I've done that bit myself makes ya feel silly!
Check the following:

1) Bad ballast resistor check w/ multimeter.
2) Bad ground on the ECU.
3) Bad ECU there was a test procedure in the TM 9-2320-266-20 maintenance manual to test that.
4) Bad module (don't assume it's good because it's new) incorrect air gap setting, set the air gap with A BRASS feeler guage if set with a steel feeler guage it will ruin it.

m880guy

now the icm grounds its self to the body from the bolts right? tomorrow im going to have someone hold it on tight, earlier last year, a month after i bought it, i had a mystery problem, the damn thing wouldnt start fo 2 months, i replaced the fuel pump, checked electronics with multi meter and everything else turns out i had an empty tank of gas, so along with checking the ground on the icm, im going to empty 5 gallons (about 45 bucks here in wisconsin) into the tank, but i poured some gas in the carb and it didnt fire, now i recently had the grill off the truck, that grill doesnt compete any grounds does it? because my tail lights had an extra ground and when i grounded it, every time i turned on my headlights, the right turn signal was lit up in my dash, this truck is really keeping me active, any advice would be great, my paycheck comes on fri so im going to run it to the local dodge garage if i can get it started for some minor electric work

my problems arent from when i bought it, but when i bought it the owner said these trucks can go through anything, he was right, last summer i bogged through the trails behind a local cold storage, about 3 ft of mud, i kinda regret that

N1265

Bob and Tmbrwolf is right, Chances are it is the ground to the ICU or the Ballast resistor.

After checking your dist. cap and rotor, plugs and wires:

1) If you have a new Ballist resistor on hand just plug it in , It does not need to be mounted to the firewall to work.

2)If it still no spark, Simply run a seperat ground wire from the case of the ICU to the neg. post on the battery. Chances are you should have spark after completing # 1 & #2

3) If you still do not get any spark after that, then pull the plugs where the wireing harness goes threw the firewall ( just below the brake resevior ) and make sure all connections are clean, Hose them out with contact cleaner or WD-40 if thats all you have. maybee your 3ft mud bogg created a problem in this area. If water got in the inside of the truck, then also do these same plugs on the inside of the firewall......

4) if still no spark, then pull the coil and have it tested.

5) If still no spark, then you may have a problem else where with your wiring harness, Ing. switch or distributer..... see the following forum for additional help

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

FYI The truck will run without the grill or any of the blackout lights installed

m880guy

i know that about the grill, but my truck has multiple grounding wires that seem totally random even when i took off a tail light, different lights light up on the dash when i turned on the headlight, its creepy the mud bog was last summer, late august the icm was replaced about a month ago, and since it was installed its taken longer for the truck to start up every time i turn the ignition

i replaced the box because the old one went out, it liked to backfire and die on me so that got replaced, i only mentioned the B/O lights because of an earlier post mentioning that i did not have any, and that that i did not believe it ever had any i have a pic from the mud bog on the post pics of my truck

ill follow those tips and maybe she will growl back to life by the end of the week thanks

m880guy

mean green is up and running again, i replaced the distributor rotor and cap, cap had fowling on it (dont know how) but that all got replaced, i checked for spark and sure enough, i also installed a new icm, now i have a ton of extra small parts that can take up room in my tool box, i had to pour some gas in the carb to prime the pump a little but she fired up right away, there are 3 major "problems" i have to fix now , horn, backup lights and i need a muffler, wausau cops are starting to realize im not actual military, i just drive an old mv

m880guy

actually, i put a pals cherry bomb turbo muffler in my exhaust stub, it gave it a nice rumble, so im going to gt one of those, i can do a good job on my exhaust

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks