• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maker's logo on MVs

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which MVs have the manufacturer's logo showing on the front of the vehicle, not just on the data plate?
Just curious, it seems like the newer trucks come with the name highly visible, Oshkosh, S&S and foreign ones. Were there restrictions in the past?

papercu

logo

Didn't the old WW II jeep have Ford embossed somewhere on them?
Most time the logo are shiny chrome pieces, no shiny things on MVs. Wayne

cbvet

RE: logo

At the WWII Victory museum in Auburn Indiana, there is a Deuce with "STUDEBAKER" stamped into both engine compartment side panels.
Don't know whether original, but looks good.
Eric
CBVET

Elwenil

RE: logo

I wonder if it was a restriction, or just that it's normally cheaper for the manufacturer to omit the badges and thus have a cheaper contract bid.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: logo

cbvet said:
At the WWII Victory museum in Auburn Indiana, there is a Deuce with "STUDEBAKER" stamped into both engine compartment side panels.
Don't know whether original, but looks good.
Eric
CBVET
No its not original. The stamping is from a civy Studebaker and was attached to the hood side panels while the truck was on exhibit at the old Studebaker museum in South Bend.

Early in WWII the military forbade the large corporate logos that are present on the early Ford and Willys Jeeps, as well as GMC, Studebaker, and Diamond T 6x6s.

Apparently sometime in the 80s this ban was lifted, as the CCC logo began to appear on some of the M915 series vehicles....and has expanded to others as Bjorn has pointed out.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: logo

I wonder if the restriction wasn't lifted earlier and none of the manufacturers took advantage of it? The M715 had the "JEEP" lettering on the tailgate and I think the early M880 models had "DODGE" stamped in the tailgate, if I remember correctly. Or maybe these just slipped through under the radar since the M715 was only a 3 year production run and the M880 tailgate was changed when the civilian model went to a decal instead of the embossed lettering.

N1265

All of the M880s had DODGE stamped on the grill, Also all of the Chevy CUCVs had the bowtie in the grill. Just like the Civi models.

acetomatoco

In WWII US mfrs logos were omitted so the indiginous people (read Russian allies?) woulldn't know that the stuff came from us.. among other reasons. Early CCKWs had grill emblems, etc, Jeeps were fitted with Russian data plates, British #19 sets had Russian data plates, etc..

Elwenil

I always thought that the Russian Government bought stuff from us also. Like the Dodge trucks chassis for the Katiusha rocket launcher. I'm no WWII buff, but I think I remember that correctly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks